Author Topic: Gary Numan  (Read 7744 times)

Offline Hector McFreckle

• Public Relations / Statistician Officer
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
Gary Numan
« on: Sun 23 Nov 2008 06:53:43 »
After 28 years, the wait is finally over !!

Gary Numan

Presented by: Civil Society

'The Godfather of electro.' - BBC

In 2009 Gary Numan will bring his full UK light show and electrifying live performance to Australia playing songs from his entire career from Replicas, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon through to Pure and Jagged. It will be only his second ever tour of Australia, his first being way back in May 1980, but as anyone who has seen him live recently will attest, it may be 30 years on but he's got more energy than bands half his age and he is still at his elemental and exploratory best, revitalized and recaptured, and importantly, rewriting his reborn future.

Crafting seminal tracks like Are 'Friends' Electric? and Cars, Gary Numan ushered in a new era. His unique style captivated and inspired a legion of 'Numanoids'. No nostalgia act, Numan is ever-reinventing himself and continues to record and perform live. His 1997 album Exile marked a distinct return to form and served as a good warm up for the 2000 album Pure which prompted reviews like "Gary Numan's richest, most powerful and most aggressive work in years" from Pop Matters. His most recent album Jagged took things up yet another notch ... is it possible for him to get any better?

TOUR DATES*:
Monday 2 March - The Tivoli, Brisbane
Thursday 5 March - Enmore Theatre, Sydney
Saturday 7 March - Forum, Melbourne
*Ticketek is selling for the above venues only.

One of the founding fathers of synth pop, Gary Numan’s influence extends far beyond his lone American hit, “Cars” which still stands as one of the defining new wave singles.

That seminal track helped usher in the synth pop era on both sides of the Atlantic, especially his native U.K., where he was a genuine pop star and consistent hit maker during the early ‘80s. Even after new wave had petered out, Numan’s impact continued to make itself felt; his dark, paranoid vision, theatrically icy alien persona, and clinical, robotic sound were echoed strongly in the work of many Goth rock and (especially) industrial artists to come.

For his part, Numan just kept on recording, and by the late ‘90s, he’d become a hip name to drop; prominent alt-rock bands covered his hits in concert, and a Goth-flavored brand of industrial dance christened darkwave looked to him as its mentor.
Eat your peas !! :)

Offline stranded

Re: Gary Numan
« Reply #1 on: Wed 26 Nov 2008 00:08:24 »
I can't wait for this gig. I'm sure it will be a packed house.
Thanks for the write-up Hector.

Offline stacky

« Reply #2 on: Sat 06 Dec 2008 19:18:52 »
actually saw the 'Tubeway Army' way back in 1980 at the Civic Theatre in Newcastle
all i can remember is a mass of keyboards & my girlfriend at the time not being very impressed!

Offline watsontr

« Reply #3 on: Fri 13 Feb 2009 18:45:46 »
actually saw the 'Tubeway Army' way back in 1980 at the Civic Theatre in Newcastle
all i can remember is a mass of keyboards & my girlfriend at the time not being very impressed!

Actually I think he had broken away from Tubeway Army by then. At least, all subsequent recordings to "Are Friends Electric" and this particular tour were under his name alone, not Tubeway Army. All those recordings were great stuff and I still listen to them on occasion. I was in the support band for this show (The Lonely Hearts) and my backstage pass only had Gary Numan written on it. Oh yeah, the date was the 25th of May, 1980
Regards
Tom