Comments, Suggestions, Discussions > Lets have a Winge

iTunes

(1/4) > >>

musicjunkie:
Not sure how many regular iTunes users there are here, but this thing has really been annoying me lately. Granted the Australian version will never be as big as the US one, so I never go there expecting to find the more rare albums. But I'm getting really frustrated with two things in iTunes.

1. The dreaded "partial album" ! I've been doing some searching around the web looking for a reason for this travesty. From what I've seen so far, it appears to be a legal issue with some music companies. It's so ANNOYING ! Nothing worse than finding  an album you've been looking for, then discovering that some of your favourite tracks have been omitted ! Bah.  >:(

2. Album cover artwork. I buy a song or album, and all I get is the front cover ? WTF ? How hard is it for them to provide full CD cover artwork ? At least, both front and back covers ? I've never understood this. I guess it keeps sites like FreeCovers and coverparadise busy though.  ;)

Beergut:
Mate, I've never used iTunes and never will. My son got an ipod and installed the software, and guess what: it suddenly thought it owned my computer! And it was going to do things the way it wanted, regardless of how I felt about it. Well, that ipod now lives on a very old laptop sitting in a corner that it can control to its hearts content. And iTunes..... once was enough to convince even my obstinate son that he doesn't need it, and music that works perfectly well on the ipod is available at much better quality and much cheaper elsewhere.

Never really liked apples.....

vicarious:
I lashed out and purchased a gen5 80 gb ipod.  I tried it thoroughly for 6 months.  Then I rockboxed it.  Then I gave up.  Utterly hopeless if you are a power user - because there is no power!  I gave it to my extremely excited son.  He tried too. It only took him 4 weeks to give it back.  Now its for sale...
I have a couple of iRivers, which max out at 40 gb. Very old and clunky they are, but the software and its overall utility is just about perfect.  Its funny, that these sell on ebay now for more money than a new ipod.  I should know, I bought two more.  Now I am searching for 80 gb HDDs to go with them.
We found the ipod to be perfect if you are a) computer illiterate an b) have only 10 cds in your entire collection (I don't mean this as a joke, it is good if you are small in size).  I have around 25,000 and it cannot handle them.  I can load my iriver fully in about 1 hr, just copy from my hdd with windoze.  Thats all.  To load an ipod with itunes is the most painful experience I know. The software is totally crippled.  one album takes a few minutes fine, but multiply that by 1000 on an 80Gb drive.  Then, try to find that particular album.
The one thing I like to do most with 1000 albums, is use random.  The ipod does this well too (NOTE rockbox has NO random!!).  However, when you hit the track or album I like, I want to hit one button that says "stop random and play this album, and when you finish, don't stop, just play the next album on the disc".  This is simply the third button on my iriver, and a non-existent function on an ipod.  There you have to note the artist and album and track, go back to the start, navigate a 1000 albums to find it, forget what its called, then simply give up.

So the ipod is fine (if you want no control).  While itunes is an abomninable program.

...there, thats about the longest "speech" I have ever posted on a forum in my career...

musicjunkie:
I don't use an ipod either, I was alluding more to using iTunes for digital downloads, not so much using it in synch with an ipod (or isheep !). I find iTunes have done the usual Apple thing, they've launched on a huge wave of hype and still aren't delivering a quality service. The only good thing I've found with the Australian store is that they have released some back catalogue stuff which I didn't have on CD.

stranded:

--- Quote from: musicjunkie on Sun 23 Mar 2008 17:19:30 ---I don't use an ipod either, I was alluding more to using iTunes for digital downloads, not so much using it in synch with an ipod (or isheep !). I find iTunes have done the usual Apple thing, they've launched on a huge wave of hype and still aren't delivering a quality service. The only good thing I've found with the Australian store is that they have released some back catalogue stuff which I didn't have on CD.

--- End quote ---

What's the bit rate on the downloads these days. It used to be 128kps (like who would bother).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version