Author Topic: Trusting Google Too Much!  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Rosie125

• Rock Addict
  • Hard Work Never Killed Anyone - why be the first?
Trusting Google Too Much!
« on: Tue 01 Jun 2010 19:17:46 »
I know some people think Google is God, but this is ridiculous:
IF Google told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it? What about walk along a busy highway?

A Los Angeles woman is suing the web giant for giving her "unsafe" directions while travelling interstate.

While in Park City, Utah, Lauren Rosenberg used her BlackBerry to ask Google Maps for walking directions from Prospector Avenue to Daly St.

The directions led her onto a busy highway where she was hit by a car.

Now she is suing Google and the car's driver over the incident.

Ms Rosenberg claims the driver, Patrick Hardwood, failed to keep a proper eye out for pedestrians, failed to keep control of the car and was speeding.

But, she claimed in a lawsuit filed late last week, Google was also responsible for leading her onto the highway in the first place.

"As a direct and proximate cause of Defendant Google's careless, reckless, and negligent providing of unsafe directions, Plaintiff Lauren Rosenberg was led onto a dangerous highway, and was thereby stricken by a motor vehicle," the lawsuit said.

When accessed from a computer, Google Maps displays a warning next to the walking directions from Prospector Avenue to Daly St.

"Use caution - This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths," the warning reads.

However it is not clear if the warning is displayed to users who access the directions from a BlackBerry.
Source:
Code: [Select]
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/woman-hit-by-car-sues-google-over-directions/story-e6freuyi-1225873935611

"My Poppy says I'm magic to him."

Offline motcher76

Re: Trusting Google Too Much!
« Reply #1 on: Tue 01 Jun 2010 19:50:23 »
There was the man in England who drove his car down an unpaved cliffside lane, got stuck on the wire fencing at the edge of a drop of some 100 feet, and then claimed that his GPS made him do it. The court decided it was the driver's own brain that made him do so. He was found guilty of "driving without due care and attention" for daftly following the orders of the soothing voice of his GPS when the more urgent voice attached to his brain cells might have suggested he, er, think.

Honestly, some people should not be let out unattended.

Cheers
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline Rosie125

• Rock Addict
  • Hard Work Never Killed Anyone - why be the first?
« Reply #2 on: Wed 02 Jun 2010 20:56:04 »
It's a worry that the Yanks are in charge of so much fire power!  :(
The land of the Bald Eagle is becoming the land of the Legal Eagle.

"My Poppy says I'm magic to him."

Offline blackmetal12

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: Tue 25 Jan 2011 18:22:34 »
Lol :D

Offline Skids

« Reply #4 on: Tue 25 Jan 2011 19:31:23 »
maybe the movie "Dumb & Dumber" is actually a documentry? ;)
so ner....  :P