Author Topic: Neil Young at The Big Day Out, Flemington Racecourse Melbourne (26th Jan 2009)  (Read 6348 times)

Offline NerdBurger

• Patron
  • Drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk...
Photos of the full set of Neil Young mindblowing performance are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carbiewarbie/sets/72157613062244900/show/

Also being hosted by the popular music website, TheDwarf.com.au

http://www.thedwarf.com.au/photos/melbourne/neil_young

Last night I watched Neil Young live by his own maxim…

It’s better to burn out, than to fade away.

And burn Neil did. Brightly. Young is a rarity in the music world. His career has spanned more than forty years, he is the author of countless songs that are part of the very fabric of their generation and yet there is not a hint of nostalgia in what he does. Young is as vital now as he was in the early-mid sixties when he first recorded with Buffalo Springfield.

In front of a packed crowd closing the series of Big Day Out concerts at Flemington Racecourse, Neil Young revealed his many layers. We saw the rock monster tearing through songs like "Hey Hey, My My". The stark realist laying bare "Needle And The Damage Done". The environmentalist singing his plea with "Mother Earth". The white noise experimentalist with an amazing cover of The Beatles, "A Day in the Life" and the swirling psychedlic "Cortez The Killer". And every layer was imbued with passion. The shifts in tempo never equating to a drop in intensity. Every word, every note was delivered with the conviction of an artist who still has much to prove, who is still on the journey.

Highlights for me were the power pop of Cinnamon Girl. I tell you, when the drums and guitars kick in to that rhythm, my heart just beats a little faster.

The sweet country of Old Man. Hearing the lyric, Old man look at my life, I’m alot like you were, I could not help but feel that Neil is still the one looking forward, never the Old Man looking back.

With the crowd singing along to "Rockin’ In The Free World". As Neil belted out the opening lyric..."There’s colours on the street, red, white and blue". How appropriate on Australia Day, while Neil was wearing a "Hippy Obama" badge and a Koori flag T-Shirt.

The significance kicked me in the head and heart. Here I was, not only a few days after the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Obama, listening to one of the most outspoken musicians of our time (for his comment on the Bush government check out the album Living With War) rock us into the dawn of a new era.

Young is on record as saying:

‘No one song can change the world. But that doesn’t mean it’s time to stop singing. Somewhere on Earth a scientist is alone working. No one knows what he or she is thinking. The secret is just within reach. If I knew that answer I would be singing the song. This is the age of innovation. Hope matters. But not hope alone. In the age of innovation, the people’s fuel must be found. That is the biggest challenge. Who is up to the challenge? Who is searching today? All day. All night. Every hour that goes by. I know I am.’

Watching Neil as he crouched like a caged tiger, sneering the lyric ‘We got a kinder, gentler machine gun hand’, his faithful ‘Old Black’ guitar pointing toward the audience spitting out notes that to quote the great Woody Guthrie would have ‘killed fascists’ I was aware that this was a moment in my history I would never forget.

On Australia Day 2009 I had my hands in the air singing along to Rockin’ in the Free World… What were you doing?

Wearing a pair of super high-powered glasses that provides millions of mega-tons of energy through the sensitive muscles in his head.

Offline ozrocker

Thanks for the excellent report. I saw him in Brisbane & Sydney and he was absolutely awesome. 8)
Still Living in a Child's Dream