Author Topic: iPirates face jail time in customs frisk  (Read 15926 times)

Offline screamin

iPirates face jail time in customs frisk
« on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 00:36:02 »
I can't believe this , i hope they dont check my laptop on my next trip overseas ......

read more here

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24089084-5014090,00.html

Offline kelvin1962

• Turbo Search engine
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • I like the Ban button
Re: iPirates face jail time in customs frisk
« Reply #1 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 02:18:46 »
I can't believe this , i hope they dont check my laptop on my next trip overseas ......

read more here

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24089084-5014090,00.html

Your Gone  ;)

« Last Edit: Tue 29 Jul 2008 02:39:13 by kelvin1962 »

Offline motcher76

« Reply #2 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 02:41:52 »
I don't quite understand this  ??? .... how can anyone tell that tracks on an mp3 player are pirated, and not a legitimate copy from an original source?

Cheers
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline Beergut

« Reply #3 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 04:19:07 »
I don't quite understand this  ??? .... how can anyone tell that tracks on an mp3 player are pirated, and not a legitimate copy from an original source?

Cheers

They can't! But the disturbing thing is that Australia is considering signing this international agreement which has to be inspired my the multinational multi million dollar recording industry in America. What ever happened to the rights of the individual? Since when can record companies vote? And if you have music on your MP3 player: you're guilty until proven innocent.

So exactly why are MP3 players allowed in the first place. Strangely it's legal to make and sell them, but illegal to use them?

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline motcher76

« Reply #4 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 04:28:12 »
And yet this same multinational multi million dollar recording industry (including the likes of Sony) is falling over themselves making their catalogues available in mp3 downloadable format. Go figure  ::)

Soooo much BS.

Cheers
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline Vermin

• Patron
« Reply #5 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 05:54:42 »

Cheers

There's no such thing as a "legitimate copy".

We have no "fair use" legislation.

Actually I think it's worse than that, one of the consequences of the last trade agreements with the US was that we would observe the worst parts of their copyright acts, could be here say as I have no source for this.

Offline bri

« Reply #6 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 17:17:27 »
The only way i can think of to check an mp3 file to see if its legal,is to see if it has a digital watermark to be able to trace it back to where it came from and see if you have the
legal right to use it.

Offline DJShotty™

« Reply #7 on: Tue 29 Jul 2008 23:39:36 »
The only way i can think of to check an mp3 file to see if its legal,is to see if it has a digital watermark to be able to trace it back to where it came from and see if you have the legal right to use it.
And how quick do you think the hackers will write the software that can create a 'watermark' capable of fooling such a check?  Windows Media Audio (wma) files can have a Digital Rights Management (DRM) stream encoded into the file to stop that file being altered or re-encoded into another format, but there are ways around that, too.  Just play the file in any media player whilst recording your computer's 'What You Hear' soundtrack with a recorder like Audition or Soundforge, then save that recording as a mp3 file.

To edit the ID3v1 and v2 tag of a mp3, you need an application or player like Winamp or Windows Media Player.  To enable such a 'digital watermark' would be a breeze for most hackers, so the record companies - and whoever else wants to go down this road of checking files - are only shooting themselves in the foot.

Lastly, I'd like to see anyone try to check my laptop/iPod/other brand mp3 player.  Without probable cause, no authority will ever have the right to examine my personal effects to the extent being proposed.  Check my luggage for drugs, bombs, or other illegal content, but I will gladly join any protest if the Government brings in this ridiculous search.
No matter how good your music playback system is, it's the quality of sound engineering which determines the listener's enjoyment level.
Many thanks to all who share properly encoded, named and tagged files.

Offline Beergut

« Reply #8 on: Wed 30 Jul 2008 01:29:52 »
Guess it's time to resurrect the old login password on the laptop LOL.

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline kushiro

« Reply #9 on: Wed 30 Jul 2008 10:43:46 »
I'm not worried.  Whenever I travel, I just secretly stash my mp3's in Schapelle Corby's boogie board bag.

Offline Newrace

« Reply #10 on: Wed 30 Jul 2008 18:01:14 »
I buy all of my CD's so I have nothing to worry about ;D

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new !!!

Offline DJShotty™

« Reply #11 on: Thu 31 Jul 2008 05:47:53 »
I buy all of my CD's so I have nothing to worry about ;D
That's not gonna help, from what I read.  There's nothing to differentiate what you've ripped from your purchased CD and what you've downloaded, so you're a goner either way.
No matter how good your music playback system is, it's the quality of sound engineering which determines the listener's enjoyment level.

Offline gazzastapo

« Reply #12 on: Thu 31 Jul 2008 06:58:48 »
If that stoopid law does come to pass.....I just can't wait till the first Recording/Entertainment Industry executive gets pinged... ;D
Take Out Your False Teeth Momma....I Wanna Suck On Your Gums!!!....

Offline DJShotty™

« Reply #13 on: Wed 06 Aug 2008 00:10:24 »
If that stoopid law does come to pass.....I just can't wait till the first Recording/Entertainment Industry executive gets pinged... ;D
Agreed.  How quickly would the recording industry hob-knobs jump up and down if the Customs guys went through Gudinski's iPod and drilled him?  Also, how much chance do you think someone like Molly M. would have of passing a mp3 screening test?  It's absolutely stupid, and hopefully the idiots who thought of the idea wake up to themselves and come out with the statement, "Sorry, we were just joking".

Offline sachabinky

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: Mon 09 Mar 2009 03:42:13 »
They're wasting their time, they would have to prove that the copies are not just your own 'Backups'.

Offline donlau

• VIP
« Reply #15 on: Wed 27 May 2009 20:12:07 »
This would make the trip through Customs even better.

Offline JestaCat

« Reply #16 on: Sun 31 May 2009 16:10:03 »
How much fun would this be for the lovely people at customs - having just returned from a trip to USA and Canada I know how much personality they (?are allowed to?) show . . . imagine them then having to ask "please power on your 40gb iPod; please verify you have purchased the 8000 tracks included" - do they expect you to carry around printed copies of the iTunes emailed receipts or are they going to have an uplink with every digital retailer to check if you've purchased a track. . ?

Then there's the cabling issue - sure, (most/all?) iPod cables are interchangable - but what about Sony and Samsung and all the lower volume MP3 player producers?  Is it going to be a customs demand now "If carrying a personal music player, please also have the USB connection cable in your carry on luggage"???  Or are they going to stock spare cables for every model?  Sounds logical...

Then there's the CD rips - my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong - it's been known to happen once or twice before) is that we are allowed to make other format copies of copyrighted material we own providing it is for our own personal use only (ie: I can make a backup MP3 of my hardcopy CD (or vise-versa) but lending / copying for someone outside my house is illegal).  How will they verify this?  Must we keep receipts for every CD now?  Will a picture of me holding the CD suffice?? (put the finger away and say cheese). . .

This issue is ridiculous - I agree with DJShotty™ hopefully they will say "April Fool's" or such - or this issue will just die a natural ridiculous death. :)
Support local Australian music!

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #17 on: Tue 23 Jun 2009 19:28:48 »
Check this out...
Code: [Select]
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,,25659151-2,00.html
Pretty scary stuff.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

Offline WonderWoman

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: Sat 29 May 2010 05:18:51 »
OMG-that's scary  >:(

Offline Rosie125

• Rock Addict
  • Hard Work Never Killed Anyone - why be the first?
« Reply #19 on: Sat 29 May 2010 07:20:40 »
And yet this same multinational multi million dollar recording industry (including the likes of Sony) is falling over themselves making their catalogues available in mp3 downloadable format. Go figure  ::)

Soooo much BS.

Cheers
That's exactly why Canada charges a bit extra for CDs.
I think it was the result of a court case and your point was made.
They also make the burners and blank CDs.
Can't have it both ways eh?
So now you can legally share music around over there.

"My Poppy says I'm magic to him."