Author Topic: West Coast Blues and Roots festival  (Read 8807 times)

Offline innocent bystander

• Out Of Town alot!!!!
  • Patron
West Coast Blues and Roots festival
« on: Mon 29 Mar 2010 07:53:32 »
Have the definitions of Blues Music and Roots Music changed, a bit like Garage Music is no longer what it was in the 70's and 80's? Am I behind the times?

The headliners for this music festival are Crowded House and the John Butler Trio. How do they fit into the definition of either Blues or Roots? IMO they must have reallly changed their creative directions to fit into either category.

There are a few blues artists on the list, but the rest seem to be acoustic miidle of the road stuff. I don't see no Roots anywhere unless they are referring to the activity of the festival goers after the music is over.

My 3 monthly rant over.

Offline DeadEyesOpened

Re: West Coast Blues and Roots festival
« Reply #1 on: Mon 29 Mar 2010 14:57:36 »
From Wikipedia:

The John Butler Trio is an eclectic roots/jam band  from Australia led by guitarist and vocalist John Butler.

I would have put John Butler in the roots category, but not Crowded House. Maybe they needed a headliner?

Offline motcher76

« Reply #2 on: Mon 29 Mar 2010 19:25:37 »
Well, as Bob Dylan said ... for the times they are a-changin’ ;)

The festival seems to have re-defined itself ... "The West Coast ’n’ Blues Festival is a truly unique experience in the Perth festival landscape. The iconic event, which began in 2004, has set a new standard for festival comfort as well as the perfect blend of musical genres – from blues to R&B, rock and pop."  (http://www.westcoastbluesnroots.com.au/)

The majority of artists on the card I would describe as Blues, R&B or Roots, and no one act is given any particular prominance, so I think the Festival still retains the original flavour. I think DeadEyesOpened is probably also right about a headliner act.

It's also probably an opportunity for Crowded House to showcase the new album due out sometime soon. I wasn't able to get to the event - did they do any songs from the new album?? Interestingly, after the West Coast event Crowded House are off to headline the Byron Bay's Bluesfest (1-5 April 2010) before jetting off for their extensive UK tour. Perhaps Neil and the boys are trying to re-define themselves as well? :laugh:

Cheers
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline innocent bystander

• Out Of Town alot!!!!
  • Patron
« Reply #3 on: Tue 30 Mar 2010 08:51:38 »
Well, as Bob Dylan said ... for the times they are a-changin’ ;)

The festival seems to have re-defined itself ... "The West Coast ’n’ Blues Festival is a truly unique experience in the Perth festival landscape. The iconic event, which began in 2004, has set a new standard for festival comfort as well as the perfect blend of musical genres – from blues to R&B, rock and pop."  (http://www.westcoastbluesnroots.com.au/)

The majority of artists on the card I would describe as Blues, R&B or Roots, and no one act is given any particular prominance, so I think the Festival still retains the original flavour. I think DeadEyesOpened is probably also right about a headliner act.

It's also probably an opportunity for Crowded House to showcase the new album due out sometime soon. I wasn't able to get to the event - did they do any songs from the new album?? Interestingly, after the West Coast event Crowded House are off to headline the Byron Bay's Bluesfest (1-5 April 2010) before jetting off for their extensive UK tour. Perhaps Neil and the boys are trying to re-define themselves as well? :laugh:

Cheers

You guys are probably correct, I just thought the John Butler Trio would be more correctly categorised as pop these days and the other headliner, Crowded House, are a pop act too. There are some blues and R&B acts, true, but I don't think all acoustic guitar acts are in the roots category. But I suppose the promoter has to go mainstream to make a buck. I just thought it would be more appropriate to be named as the Pop and a bit of Blues and other stuff Festival.

Offline motcher76

« Reply #4 on: Wed 31 Mar 2010 06:35:20 »
According to the festival flyer ... "Joining Crowded House is Australia's king of roots John Butler Trio". ;D

From the newspaper reports the festival attracted its biggest crowd, almost twice the numbers from last year, so the "new" formula obviously worked.

Cheers
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline busbydaze

« Reply #5 on: Wed 31 Mar 2010 09:02:39 »
John Butler maybe, but Crowded house? I spose it got people through the gate.
Didn't go this year to the WC Blues n roots but last year Missy Higgins was one of the headliners. Not the blues but a bit whiney.

Offline Newrace

« Reply #6 on: Fri 02 Apr 2010 04:12:32 »
I away thought Crowded house were commercial Pop band, not my cup of tea. :D

John Butler Trio I would classify as  Blues-Rock band, but I am old school :)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new !!!