Author Topic: Rock Arena (rage goes retro) from morning of 3/1/10  (Read 15905 times)

Offline kilbey

Rock Arena (rage goes retro) from morning of 3/1/10
« on: Mon 18 Jan 2010 00:58:29 »
I caught some Rock Arena a couple of weeks ago.  Curious about an artist.  The episode was the one with the live Machinations special at the Chevron.  The particular clip wasn't announced or back announced, but was probably referred to at the start of the episode, which I didn't get.  I can't get my DVD ripper to work but have some screenshots.  Any ideas?  Duran Duran-ish, but I think he's Australian.  I seem to recall the song (it's from December '84).

Lyrics go:

I need a key, I need that luxury, clearly
With cameras and cages and cars, I follow the lights of the stars
Well are you sending out, or are you sealing in, some of the finer things in life

You're a burning rose, growth where no-one goes
A cold road
The shade of the years that I should know
I should know so well
I laid all I had on a spell

Well are you sending out, or are you sealing in, some of the finer things in life

etc...

singer

band

Thanks for any assistance for my worn out memory  :D

Offline kilbey

Re: Rock Arena (rage goes retro) from morning of 3/1/10
« Reply #1 on: Mon 18 Jan 2010 16:36:44 »

My DVD ripper won't behave but got some of the video converted to avi. Link -

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QCKF52WY

Offline motcher76

« Reply #2 on: Tue 19 Jan 2010 02:12:11 »
The terrific Beargarden (Sam Sejavka out front) with their very first single "The Finer Things" released in 1984.

It didn't make it on to their one and only LP, "All That Fall" (1986), like their other singles so it's a pretty hard track to find. "All That Fall" is scheduled for re-issue on CD soon, and will probably include some bonus tracks or vids.

Cheers

EDIT ... here's the run-down for the Rock Arena special which I think gels with your recollection (I didn't catch the 3 January 2010 telecast):

Rock Arena Dec 18 1984 hosted Suzanne Dowling
December 18 1984
THIS WEEKS FOCUS IS ON AUSTRALIAN BANDS.THE HOST SUZANNE DOWLING TALKS ABOUT THREE BANDS DURING THE SHOW,THE TRIBE(10.12),BEARGARDEN(19.26) AND THE MACHINATIONS(27.90).THERE IS A SPECIAL LIVE PERFORMANCE BY THE MACHINATIONS AT THE CHEVRON IN SYDNEY;ARTISTS:;PUNTER TO PUNTER 'PUNT,PUNT,PUNT'(0.15);I'M TALKING 'TRUST ME'(2.59);THE TRIBE 'DREAMS'(6.42);FLASH AND THE PAN 'MIDNIGHT MAN'(11.03);ROSE TATTOO 'FREEDOMS FLAME'(14.57);SCRIBBLE 'ADAPTABILITY'(20.17);
BEARGARDEN 'THE FINER THINGS'(23.37);MACHINATIONS 'JUMPING THE GAP'(28.53)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'AVERAGE'(32.59)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'MAN OVERBOARD'(37.20)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'EXECUTION (OF LOVE)'(42.55)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'PRESSURE SWAY'(47.03)LIVE;MACHINATIONS 'NO SAY IN IT'(52.33)LIVE
« Last Edit: Mon 17 Oct 2011 21:48:17 by motcher76 »
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline kilbey

« Reply #3 on: Tue 19 Jan 2010 06:01:37 »
You don't take long, do you Motch?  That's number 3 you've identified for me pretty much immediately.  I tip my hat to the master ;D

Thanks for that.  Curiosity relieved.  It's a good song. I can mp3 it.

I did of course try and find out myself, including trawling ABC/RAGE forums, and came up with zilch.  I obviously don't know all the corners to look in yet.  My education continues.  :D

Cheers

Kilbey

Offline kilbey

« Reply #4 on: Tue 19 Jan 2010 06:11:28 »
I assume this is not coincidence, but Kelvin1962 has posted an mp3 today at:

http://www.aussiedownunder.info/Ausrock/index.php/topic,7602.0/topicseen.html

Thanks Kelvin1962.  Nice.