Author Topic: Unoriginal aussies  (Read 22636 times)

Offline summercity

• VIP
Unoriginal aussies
« on: Thu 08 Jan 2009 04:12:33 »
Hi everyone, just noticed that in the aria abum charts that 3 of the top ten albums (by aussies) are all albums of cover versions.

What is going on.

Human Nature, Tina Arena and David Campbell all have albums in the top 10 that are nothing but cover versions.

What a shame that we can't have 3 artists in the top 10 with original songs.

Seems that it is too hard for these artists to select songs by any of the 1000s of songwriters hoping to get a break in this country and they have all taken their career cues from someone like rod stewart who has gone the cover version route.

Offline Newrace

Re: Unoriginal aussies
« Reply #1 on: Fri 09 Jan 2009 03:17:08 »
I suppose they sell records :o and the Big record companies are all about money

But I agree why do covers :o

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new !!!

Offline gazzastapo

« Reply #2 on: Sat 10 Jan 2009 23:12:20 »
I can never understand why an artist would do a whole CD of just covers and release a cover as a single unless there was at least one original song on the release.

From my understanding, if the artist has an original song (that they contributed to) on their album, then they get songwriting royalties that go straight to their bank account and are off limits to their record company, whereas on covers they only get performance royalties whereby the record company get to deduct any "expenses" and/or debt that the band owes them.

dunno if that's absolutely correct....but it was on some doco that I watched a while back and kinda makes sense when ya read/hear some of the stories from bands.... ???
Take Out Your False Teeth Momma....I Wanna Suck On Your Gums!!!....

Offline Vtroll

• Rock Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sat 07 Feb 2009 10:22:23 »
Covers or remakes.  Some suck while others sound better than the originals. But we could be opening a new can o' worms debating which version of songs are better ..... (perhaps a new thread?  ;) )

Offline Austwiz

« Reply #4 on: Thu 12 Feb 2009 05:09:45 »
most recent covers suck through a straw... :(

That said, I actually like Tina Arena's movement into the world of Jazz
nichevo......

Offline Downhome61

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: Sat 07 Mar 2009 15:54:42 »
It's the state of play today. If they could get their own songs on the radio they would. David Campbell is on record as saying he's an entertainer and comfortable in the knowledge that songwriting isn't one of his strengths. Not sure about the others.

Offline sachabinky

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: Mon 09 Mar 2009 03:48:17 »
Oh well, Tina Arena lives in France now anyway.
They just gave her some award- order or something.

Offline Exorphin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: Tue 14 Apr 2009 07:11:11 »
there is some way that the top10 is worked out that makes it all a sham...  I think it has something to do with every place that sells records being counted and each place being assigned a percentile or something ?  Help me out here ? 

from vague recollection, if someone drives 400 km out of Broome and buys a Nicki Webster CD, then theorectically, due to the population out there being 2, then Nikki Webster would have sold to 50% of the population...  Does this ring any bells for anyone or is it one of my drunken stupor memories that were implanted by that wise looking bloke at the pub ?
LOUD NOISES !!!

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #8 on: Tue 07 Jul 2009 19:51:55 »
Many bands, probably most if not all, begin their lives / careers doing pub gigs getting folk onto the dancefloor doing covers. Of course I am only talking about musical bands who actually play instruments and make music, not talentless, voiceless teeny-boppers who get signed on to a record label cos they got nice tits and make generic tripe aimed at 12 year old girls.

So anyhow, these bands later have their own material and have sold a few records. But they reminisce about the days when they filled a pub dancefloor in a smoke filled, crowded room with sticky carpet. Perhaps they long for those days, perhaps they think that if they make an album of cover songs then it might bring back the glory days of their past.

Perhaps I am full of crap.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

Offline blackmetal12

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: Tue 25 Jan 2011 18:25:53 »
It's a shame - haven't head any good new Aussie music for ages

Offline Tomado

« Reply #10 on: Tue 17 Apr 2018 13:15:57 »

[/quote

Unless their Burt Bacharach covers I fully agree

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
« Reply #11 on: Tue 17 Apr 2018 16:05:10 »

[/quote

Unless their Burt Bacharach covers I fully agree

That would have to be your fantasy to meet Burt Bacharach wouldn't it.

Offline Tomado

« Reply #12 on: Wed 18 Apr 2018 03:39:57 »
Tony given a chance I wouldn't Walk On By away from him  ;)
I keep Sayin'A Prayer, but anyway, his songs will Always Be There To Remind Me of him & Hal...  :D

8)

Offline okym

« Reply #13 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 01:54:47 »
We really only had to look at the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony to get a taste of unoriginal Aussies. A Kate Ceberano cover with Kate standing on stage, go figure.
« Last Edit: Sun 22 Apr 2018 07:03:02 by okym »

Offline Beergut

« Reply #14 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 01:58:54 »
And if we go back to the opening ceremony, a hip hop number straight outta New York to kick off proceedings. Katie Noonan thoroughly deserves all the flac she got.

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline Tomado

« Reply #15 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 05:40:42 »
High guys :)

I only had the BBC as a source to watch CG live (stayin' up late for nuthin' because a stupid commentator thought he was more important than the viewers and blabla  :sleepy: all the way thru the ceremony >:(
Having experienced only subjective English  :sleepy: and sometimes British succes... I gave up quick smart earlier on.
I just couldn't bother stayin' up late for the end ceremony  >:(.

Thanx 2 the links Deutros provided me I was able 2 follow other countries (per computer) ...
I was thinking of looking @ Utube for the ceremonies after the GC CG.

Knowing now that it wasn't much, I think I just won't bother looking anymore  :laugh:

8)