Author Topic: Daddy Cool: Several questions  (Read 8837 times)

Offline Jukebox

Daddy Cool: Several questions
« on: Tue 11 Nov 2008 09:23:00 »
I've picked up a couple of those long out of print Daddy Cool albums from Ausrock & Midoztouch, but not the one I'd really love to find. That double live LP, with one disc of the original 4 piece band & one of the rockier 5 piece incarnation (Can't remember the title after all these years). Is this available for download somewhere I've yet to look, or even better, is there any chance we may finally see some decent CD reissues of this classic band?

Just ordered a copy of 'The New Cool' from an amazon.co.uk marketplace seller called JukeboxUSA. I figured I should take his username as a sign. LOL
Can any one tell me how this CD stands up to the original albums?

Despite the fact that the original albums have not had a CD release as yet, there seem to be a number of Daddy Cool compilation CDs floating around. Are any of these specifically worth hunting down for rare or obscure tracks that aren't to be found on the original Daddy Cool LP releases?

Offline motcher76

Re: Daddy Cool: Several questions
« Reply #1 on: Tue 11 Nov 2008 22:20:20 »
I've picked up a couple of those long out of print Daddy Cool albums from Ausrock & Midoztouch, but not the one I'd really love to find. That double live LP, with one disc of the original 4 piece band & one of the rockier 5 piece incarnation (Can't remember the title after all these years). Is this available for download somewhere I've yet to look, or even better, is there any chance we may finally see some decent CD reissues of this classic band?

From the Milesago site ... During 1973 Porter and his American partner Steve Binder established a new label Wizard and in September 1973 they released the double album Daddy Cool Live! The Last Drive-in Movie Show, the live recording of DC's farewell gig at the Much More Ballroom in August 1972. The track order faithfully followed the set list on the night. Record One features the original four-piece Daddy Cool, with Side One featuring the R&B covers, and Side Two devoted to Gary Young's selection of favourite country and rockabilly numbers. On Record Two, the second half of the show, they were joined by Willy Winter and this included some of the more progressive material including "Flash In My Head" and "Boy You're Paranoid". The original pressing also included a bonus one-sided 33-1/3 rpm single with the live version of "Daddy Cool". Remarkably, despite of the group's huge popularity, the live album sold less than 5000 copies from its first release, and it is now by far the rarest of their three 'original' LPs.

The album was re-released on CD by Wizard in 1982, but the tracks were culled to fit on to one disc (I don't know which tracks were omitted). That same CD is also included in the 1992 3-CD boxed set "The Complete Daddy Cool". I've also seen it floating around simply called "Daddy Cool Live!"

A few more posts and you might find what you're looking for here  ;D

Cheers
« Last Edit: Tue 11 Nov 2008 22:46:03 by motcher76 »
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline Jukebox

« Reply #2 on: Thu 13 Nov 2008 04:50:40 »
From the Milesago site ... During 1973 Porter and his American partner Steve Binder established a new label Wizard and in September 1973 they released the double album Daddy Cool Live! The Last Drive-in Movie Show, the live recording of DC's farewell gig at the Much More Ballroom in August 1972. The track order faithfully followed the set list on the night. Record One features the original four-piece Daddy Cool, with Side One featuring the R&B covers, and Side Two devoted to Gary Young's selection of favourite country and rockabilly numbers. On Record Two, the second half of the show, they were joined by Willy Winter and this included some of the more progressive material including "Flash In My Head" and "Boy You're Paranoid". The original pressing also included a bonus one-sided 33-1/3 rpm single with the live version of "Daddy Cool". Remarkably, despite of the group's huge popularity, the live album sold less than 5000 copies from its first release, and it is now by far the rarest of their three 'original' LPs.

The album was re-released on CD by Wizard in 1982, but the tracks were culled to fit on to one disc (I don't know which tracks were omitted). That same CD is also included in the 1992 3-CD boxed set "The Complete Daddy Cool". I've also seen it floating around simply called "Daddy Cool Live!"

A few more posts and you might find what you're looking for here  ;D

Cheers

That's certainly the one I'm looking for. I wish they wouldn't cut tracks on double albums to make them fit a single CD. That's almost as bad as releasing a double album on a double CD, when it would have all fit on one disc without cuts. A CD release of one of my all-time favourite albums was like that (Aphrodite's Child - 666).

As for making more posts, well I could always just flood the group with my requests, but that would seem like cheating to me, so I'll have to wait until I have something to say. LOL

Offline Downhome61

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: Sat 07 Mar 2009 16:53:56 »
Has DCEP the Daddy Cool EP ever been released digitally? I seem to recall it was on a complete box set in the early '90s. Always meant to get it but never did.

Offline gazman2k3

« Reply #4 on: Mon 09 Mar 2009 01:09:53 »
I didn't realise Daddy Cool was an aussie band.