Author Topic: All Tomorrows parties  (Read 10771 times)

Offline bob

• Rock Addict
    • that striped sunlight sound
All Tomorrows parties
« on: Tue 07 Oct 2008 04:18:36 »

I posted this on my blog.
I'm sure it will be of some interest to you guys.

In the biggest news to come to my attention since the
pig city concert in 2006 or the Apartments reforming
last year, the UK concept concert extravaganza,
All Tomorrows Parties, comes to Australia.
New York too, but that's not as exciting, for me anyway.
First the big news is I finally have a chance to see
the Clowns live after all these years.
I like to think Ed's been reading all the comments
I've made on my blog about the sorry state of
affairs, that I never got to see them live.
Below is from their Myspace site.

Laughing Clowns have been invited to play the
inaugural ATP Australia festival in January next year.
This will be the first show anywhere by the Clowns
since 1984.Featuring original members Ed Kuepper
vocals and guitar,Jeffrey Wegener drums,
Louise Elliott saxophone and Leslie Millar upright bass.
See you there.

Now if that isn't enough we have an incredible lineup
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds have been named as the
festival’s curators.As curators, the band not only headline
the festival but personally select the line-up.

Joining Cave and his merry men at the January festival
are fellow Aussie acts, The Saints, The Laughing Clowns,
Robert Forster, Primitive Calculators, Rowland S Howard,
The Stabs, Bridezilla, and The Necks.

On the international front, Spiritualized (UK),
James Blood Ulmber (US), Harmonia (Germany),
#uck Buttons (UK), Silver Apples (UK), Afrirampo (Japan),
and M Gira (US) have been named in the festival line-up.

All Tomorrow’s Parties in Australia will be held in three
locations over a number of dates. See below for details.

January 9 and 10, Mt Buller Ski Resort, Victoria
January 12 and 16, The Powerhouse, Brisbane
January 17 and 18, Cockatoo Island, Sydney
Nick Cave solo show (Tickets on sale Friday October 3)
Tuesday January 6, The Palace, Melbourne [18+]

Its enough to send you all giddy.
Apparently there's more acts too come,
I'm crossing me fingers for the Apartments.

ciao bob
http://stripedsunlight.blogspot.com/

Offline Beergut

Re: All Tomorrows parties
« Reply #1 on: Wed 08 Oct 2008 05:28:05 »
Got me all jealous bob. Don't see poor old Adelaide listed in the venues (as usual...)

Can't help but wonder what costume will the poor girl wear...

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline NerdBurger

• Patron
  • Drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk...
Re: All Tomorrows Parties @ Mt Buller
« Reply #2 on: Tue 06 Jan 2009 07:34:52 »
So any AusRockers going to this event?

Or am I the only one flying the flag at Mt Buller?

Personally I can't wait. I just did a shoot of The Primitive Calculators in their secret comeback concert at The Tote on the weekend. It was the first time they have been on stage....IN 29 YEARS!!!

Just a warm up for the main performance at  Mt Buller. They seriously went off and did intense versions of "Can't Stop It", "Do That Dance" and even the J'OK cover of "Shout". They also performed "Pumping Ugly Muscle" from the Dogs In Space soundtrack and a few new songs.  The photos will be up on TheDwarf website in the next couple of days. (i.e. http://www.thedwarf.com.au/photos/melbourne)

A lot of people are going apeshit about seeing The Saints. I'm also excited but personally I hanging out to see Ed Keupper's Laughing Clowns. I really loved that band when they first came out and there is still is nothing like them in my books. When I talk about them to people, I just waffle on about how they are like some god sent messiahs of experimental jazz and raw punk.  They only other band that comes close is that New York No Wave artist that came out of CBGB's, James White & The Blacks/James Chance & The Contortions.

Other highlights are going to be Nick of course, The Go-Betweens' Robert Forster, Bill Callahan (Smog), Spiritualized, James Blood Ulmer, my personal fav's The Reels and Swan's Michael Gira. The Dirty Three performing the complete "Ocean Songs" is going to be awe-inspiring.

It's a pity that the Suicide deal fell through.  They were on Nick Cave's shopping list.  That would have been a dream electronic act to catch. Having The Silver Apples is a good second choice, as they are real electronic pioneers. 

I don't know who the mystery act is but everyone I have talked to are saying it's going to be The Drones. I can't say "no" to that. A friend was telling me Chopper Reed is going to MC the proceedings. I would have preferred John So. :)

Wearing a pair of super high-powered glasses that provides millions of mega-tons of energy through the sensitive muscles in his head.

Offline Newrace

« Reply #3 on: Wed 07 Jan 2009 04:31:23 »
I was going to go but.... :'( I have to work, most of the band playing I have seen live many years ago....should be a great gig
I have singles Can't Stop It, Do That Dance and the promo single of Pumping Ugly Muscle. lets hope Dave Mason is not off his tree...Lol

If it is true the Drones...are also a great act :) :)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new !!!

Offline bob

• Rock Addict
« Reply #4 on: Wed 07 Jan 2009 04:33:40 »
Can't wait to see the clowns myself, their doing a separate
gig at the Gallery of Modern Art here in Brisbane,
not booked for the main ATP gig.
I can tell you having seen the Saints play at Pig city
and being right up front and center,
that they won't disappoint.
Truly one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.
I wrote about it more on my blog and you can
download the performance, here

http://stripedsunlight.blogspot.com/2008/02/saints-triumphant-return.html

Its a awe inspiring line up nick and the boys pulled together.

ciao bob

Offline NerdBurger

• Patron
  • Drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk...
« Reply #5 on: Thu 08 Jan 2009 06:19:57 »
Thanks Bob for the links.  What is the quality of the recording?

It looks like I'm also photographing some of the ATP sideshows. I can't stop pinching myself with excitement! :)

I'm doing Spiritualized and The Silver Apples at The Hi-Fi Bar tomorrow. Jumping in my car and driving 3-4 hours!!! Then I'm doing the two day Mt Buller ATP event with full photopass access. So basically I'll be in front row centre between the barrier and the stage taking shots of all of the acts. I'm guessing there is going to be a few Ron Asheton tributes from some of the bands this week-end as The Stooges were such a major influence of so many of these artists.

Then the cherry on top of the cake will be on the following week.  I am doing the Don't Look Back concert.  The Saints will perform "I'm Stranded" in it's entirety. X will also be performing the seminal aussie punk classic, "At Home With You". A pity Ian Rilan can't be there but The Horns of Contempt (as in the Hunters & Collectors' horn section) will be lending X a helping hand. The Saints are doing the same thing next day in Brisbane but without X in support.  I hope you get a chance to catch it Bob.

Every year summer festivals come and go. I sometimes go to The Big Day Out, if their is a main act that I just must see (i.e. Iggy & The Stooges or Neil Young this year). Some years I let the whole procession and go by and I just catch some of the sideshows. I really got to hand it to the organisers of All Tomorrow's Parties. Having Nick Cave's red right hand pick the acts is a genius move. For the first time ever, it is as if a summer festival was actually custom made for me personally. It's not just one band that I am dying to see but over TEN BANDS!!!

I'm been chatting to The Reels and they are doing something special at the ATP festival. It looks like Dave buoyed by his warm welcoming of his comeback is writing some new songs. Colin 'Polly' Newham has officially retired from the band. The new band at Mt Buller is still going to have Dave Mason and John Boy Bliss on drums and three new band members. They have been practising hard and aim to sound as close to the original recordings but with a full band (i.e. bass guitar, keyboards, drums, etc). I remember the old days when the band use to have an Amiga computer on stage and they use to load song from a floppy disk. :P
« Last Edit: Thu 08 Jan 2009 06:42:37 by NerdBurger »

Wearing a pair of super high-powered glasses that provides millions of mega-tons of energy through the sensitive muscles in his head.

Offline bob

• Rock Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sat 10 Jan 2009 06:29:53 »
You are the man nerdburger, you have to post some photos, damn i'd love
to see spiritualized from the side stage and photograph em, i'm jealous.
So how did you get photopass access? you work for the Australian or something.
And thanks for the heads up on the don't look back / saints gig, that was the first i've
heard about it, fantastic news.
I think I'm Stranded is like as influential as Never mind the bollocks I'm excited now. ;D
You enjoy yourself nerdburger and if you can spare me some good shots I will give you
pride of place on my blog.
The recording bloody good, top quality audience, you have to hear the roar go up through the
crowd when I'm Stranded is recognized to believe it.
ciao bob

Offline bob

• Rock Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sat 17 Jan 2009 23:51:26 »
Ive posted a review of sorts and plenty photos at

ciao bob