Author Topic: Why did it take so long to find this forum!!!!  (Read 51727 times)

Offline pewdekz

Why did it take so long to find this forum!!!!
« on: Fri 15 Feb 2008 18:59:41 »
I like to think I can get around the web and find stuff that I want, but a huge hole has always been hard to find Aussie stuff. So I am so glad I found this site and quite by accident too!!!!

Look forward to being here now!!

Offline Hector McFreckle

• Public Relations / Statistician Officer
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
Re: Why did it take so long to find this forum!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 02:30:53 »
Yeah you're right. Which is pretty much how we've all come together - with the initial help of Newrace, Jaylee, No_Exit, screamin, Skids & many others, we've built something that was missing from the net. It had always been extremely hard to find Aussie stuff!  ;)
Eat your peas !! :)

Offline Beergut

« Reply #2 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 02:50:09 »
I thought I was in Heaven when I found this place. All my old 45's and 33's still available through this place, the blog, Slades Blog and Midoztouch.

And so many great people who went out of their way to find the rare bits I couldn't. It's a great community of Oz music lovers, that's for sure. And now that you've found us, join in, recapture the music of your youth, and have fun.

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline kelvin1962

• Turbo Search engine
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • I like the Ban button
« Reply #3 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 05:49:32 »
I thought I was in Heaven when I found this place.

Till you met Hector and myself  ;D

Offline Beergut

« Reply #4 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 06:31:55 »
Kel! You and Hector are the heart and soul of this place. (Even if I was here before you LOL)

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline Skids

« Reply #5 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 07:36:44 »
the forum was the brainchild of Newrace
when the blog actually started, alot of content came from the "aussie music" thread at dancingmokey,  at a time when midoztouch was in a transition period (i.e. it was there with no forum,site only and nearly all the links were dead) sure when the forum started it was a  lil quiet, but it didn't take long to get going - then along came the search engine kelvin with Mal close behind eheheheh

lets face it, there is no better place on the net for Aussie music than here  ;D

thanks to Newrace ;)
so ner....  :P

Offline vicarious

« Reply #6 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 18:02:47 »
Welcome pewdekz.  Welcome.

I dl'ed 10gb of Aussie stuff from here just since christmas. What else can I say?

go crazy..

Offline Jaylee

« Reply #7 on: Sun 17 Feb 2008 22:04:33 »
Nice to see everybody enjoying this place and appreciating all the good music.

We don't only have good music, but it seems aussie Music attracts nice people
because we have really nice appreciate members as well, and thats what makes a good forum.

Offline Newrace

« Reply #8 on: Mon 18 Feb 2008 21:30:54 »
Nice to see everybody enjoying this place and appreciating all the good music.

We don't only have good music, but it seems aussie Music attracts nice people
because we have really nice appreciate members as well, and thats what makes a good forum.

You are right J.....great Staff and great members....we love you all ;D :) :-* :-* :-* ;)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new !!!

Offline NiteOwl

• VIP - Owl's Nest Owner
  • Rock Addict
    • Owl's Nest
« Reply #9 on: Thu 21 Feb 2008 23:38:39 »
Welcome to Ausrock pewdekz!  Dunno why it took you so long to find us ... but hey, you've found the best aussie forum there is now ;)
A word to the wize aint necessary ... its the stupid ones that need the advice!
Bill Cosby

Offline Vtroll

• Rock Addict
« Reply #10 on: Thu 21 Feb 2008 23:54:21 »
 ;D Think it was a case of "build it (the website) and they will come" ..... eventually ...... if they take any notice of the links from ausrock....

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #11 on: Fri 22 Feb 2008 03:33:56 »
Yeah it's magic. I've been telling any friends who would want to know about it. Just to add a little anecdote if I may? I recently ripped all of my cd's to 500GB HDD as well as all the mp3's that I've downloaded. Now I don't have to decide on what I want to listen to, then get the cd's from the case and insert them into the cd cartridge to play them, (it's a Pioneer 5cd cartridge player). I use a Logitech Music Anywhere system which transmits the music played on the computer to the home stereo, (which, by the way is BIG and LOUD). I use Windows Media Player which allows me to add all music, (every single song and album and rarity and remix that is on the external hard drive) and play it as one play list.

Now I get to the crux of my ramble. As each song comes on, I play a game with myself to see how quickly I can name the song and artist. It has astounded me just how much Aussie rock I have. I have a sh!tload of other stuff such as Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Concrete Blonde, Devo and heaps more. But it's crazy how often an Aussie rock song comes on. From the Angels to Spy V Spy to The Hummingbirds, to Models to Mentals to the Oils to Godstar to Caligula and many more. I will share as much as I can upload.

But my point is that this is great, just fantastic. Thanks heaps. For giving us this place of access and sharing.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

Offline Hector McFreckle

• Public Relations / Statistician Officer
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
« Reply #12 on: Fri 22 Feb 2008 05:15:13 »
You've gotta thank yourself too Forrykook, coz it's each and every one of us active members which makes this forum great. As Vtroll said, if you build it - they will come!!
Eat your peas !! :)

Offline vilescum

« Reply #13 on: Mon 25 Feb 2008 05:19:56 »
I found this site from ausrock :)

Offline summercity

• VIP
« Reply #14 on: Thu 28 Feb 2008 03:56:23 »
I found this site by accident too.
My mate was telling me that Sherbet had done a "live" version of "You Keep Me Hanging On" on their album called "Caught in the Act Live". I did the usual round of bittorrent -download sites but couldn't find it.
Aussie stuff is so hard to find. So i resorted to googling the album title with "download" or 'bittorrent" or "download now" ..etc until i found ausrock in the page results.
I've never looked back.

Offline StavrosPlod

• Patron
« Reply #15 on: Thu 28 Feb 2008 06:51:25 »
Welcome, vilescum, to the best Aussie music site available! I, too, have become an Ausrock forums addict. Great people, excellent unobtrusive administration and plenty of the world's best music.
Release the bats!

Offline vbs

« Reply #16 on: Mon 03 Mar 2008 21:53:37 »
Mate - same story here. Found by accident when a link appeared in something I downloaded. Like striking gold - all my old cassettes and LP's available here. Great Aussie music and a great online community. Well done guys.

Offline victitan

« Reply #17 on: Sat 08 Mar 2008 07:09:53 »
With ya all the way on this dork boy.......what took you so long?? And why didn't you tell me about it sooner  :)
Every day above ground is a good day - James Reyne

Offline myke44

« Reply #18 on: Sun 09 Mar 2008 12:05:21 »
I hope more and more people get interested in aussie music and ausrock is certainly helping that happen!

Offline Dobberdog

« Reply #19 on: Sun 16 Mar 2008 01:30:37 »
I found the site through Midoztouch.  Noticed quite a few here that also post there

Offline Gumby

• Rock Addict
    • FinnArctic
« Reply #20 on: Sun 16 Mar 2008 11:22:57 »
What turned me on to Aussie music was basically that I had listened to all kinds of music from nearly all parts of the world - Europe, USA, Jamaica, South America, China and Japan (and I'm only a bit over 30!)... but Australia and New Zealand formed a great white unexplored blot on my musical map. OK, there were a number of bands I had heard something from, but only a couple that I had listened for more than two albums' worth. After discovering some great material by Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons, Icehouse and Midnight Oil I thought there must be more. So I found Midoztouch, Downunder and Ausrock. I found lots of bands, many of whom provided me with more fab stuff. After commenting on a Redgum album at Ausrock, I was kind of invited to join this forum. Now I have quite a few more favourite bands to enjoy.

When it comes to European and American music, there's not much more left to discover for me, so I depend on the Australasian area to give me more good stuff, and it sure does. Thanks a million to everyone here! And Forrykook, your story sounds like luxury!
No bonds.

Offline Larnie

• Rock Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mon 17 Mar 2008 15:49:10 »
I found this site through Midoztouch which when I found it (very recently) I was ga ga with the oz music there.

I am like Ferrycook - although I haven't hooked up to my stereo - YET! Still I like the fact I can listen to my fave tracks/albums just by selecting and loading them into winamp on my pc. One day I hope I can hook it all up to my stereo system and not have my son telling me to turn it down.

I am a newbie and really looking forward to meeting people here that share the same love of the aus music era (and o/s too) that I do. The people here sure do seem friendly which adds to its appeal.

My only limitation is I work a lot and can only grab an hour here and there to contribute but I get the feeling this place is going to open up a whole new world for me.

Offline Larnie

• Rock Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mon 17 Mar 2008 15:56:35 »
oops sorry Forrycook. (I just read your post on bad spelling and grammar and trust me to get your nick wrong in my last post).

Offline Bigdemon

« Reply #23 on: Wed 29 Oct 2008 05:35:50 »
I found this site through a fellow member who mentioned how great it is and he is absolutely right!!! The administration of this site is fabulous and all members seem to be ever so helpful. The effort in maintaining this site must be horrendous and is a credit to all those involved. I'm sure all members feel very lucky to have access to this site.

Regards and best wishes to all!!!!
Bigdemon

Offline justbrowsing

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: Sat 01 Nov 2008 20:06:00 »
I just found this site and am loving it so far.....just have to find where all the links are and i'll be even happier ;-)

I've got so much Oz music from the 80's on my HDD its not funny....heaps to share and I'm sure heaps that will be dl'ded.

Offline kelvin1962

• Turbo Search engine
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • I like the Ban button
« Reply #25 on: Sat 01 Nov 2008 20:27:14 »
I just found this site and am loving it so far.....just have to find where all the links are and i'll be even happier ;-)

Keep posting,you will get there soon  ;)

Offline justbrowsing

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: Sat 01 Nov 2008 21:16:55 »
Keep posting,you will get there soon  ;)

I know....lol. I might go and find some more threads to post on  :P

Offline wirocker

« Reply #27 on: Sat 15 Nov 2008 08:24:13 »
Thanks for creating this great forum!!

Offline Downhome61

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: Sat 07 Mar 2009 16:10:12 »
Big thumbs up form this direction too.

Offline Meglos

• Patron
« Reply #29 on: Sat 07 Mar 2009 17:23:14 »
I love this forum. Not only is there a wealth of rare (elsewhere on the net) Aussie history available, but the people are friendly, informative & more than happy to share, point you in the right direction or go out of their way to help.