Author Topic: Bad speeling and grammer.  (Read 14439 times)

Offline Forrykook

Bad speeling and grammer.
« on: Thu 31 Jan 2008 00:39:23 »
Ow langwig is wot seperates us from the aminals. withowt it wee wood stil be draging owr nukkles on the dert and swingin in the chrees. yoo see bad spellink evriwear shop sines, noospapers, thees forums, (even the very title of this wun). how hard is it to look at what yoo,ve wrote and reed it? I even heer noos reeders on the tv mispronouncing werds. Hav a lissen tonite. thay will say "alect" instead of elect, anough instead of enough, aleven instead of eleven.

Mi's used' apostrophe's i's one of my pet peeve's. Look around at the sign's in your town. Theres apostrophe's everywhere. I see a sign, for example, that says "Mobile dog wash. We wash your dog's." I wonder what the next word is. There should be a next word. Because everybody should know that you use an apostrophe for ownership, NOT for plurals. So they're going to wash my dog's WHAT?? His balls, his tail only?? WHAT?? Plurals do not have apostrophes. One dog - two dogs. You can use an apostrophe on a plural, after the "s", if there is ownership involved. The dog's dish is dirty. One dog, one dish, the dog owns the dish. The dogs' dishes are dirty. More than one dog, more than one dish, the dogs own the dishes.

Phew, glad we got that sorted.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

Offline Vtroll

• Rock Addict
Re: Bad speeling and grammer.
« Reply #1 on: Fri 22 Feb 2008 00:01:45 »
wot U on about?

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #2 on: Fri 22 Feb 2008 03:13:05 »
Let's have a winge (sic), whinge it should be and let's should have an apostrophe. Incorrect spelling and grammar is what bugs me the most. We all learn it at school, so why not use it and practise it?
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

Offline vbs

« Reply #3 on: Mon 03 Mar 2008 21:47:19 »
Correct spelling and grammar is so easy - just press the good old F7 key and it is all sorted. That is what spell check is for.

Offline Gumby

• Rock Addict
    • FinnArctic
« Reply #4 on: Tue 04 Mar 2008 17:28:14 »
I agree with Forrykook - although I rarely complain about bad spelling in public I REALLY wish people could read more closely what they write and how they write. Bad spelling removes all credibility from important statements, causes misunderstandings and are a general eyesore to people who can spell.
No bonds.

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #5 on: Tue 04 Mar 2008 18:11:01 »
Yeah thanks Gumby. Someone who understands what I'm going on about.

Offline victitan

« Reply #6 on: Sat 08 Mar 2008 07:08:54 »
Dear Mr or Ms Forrykook,

I wholeheartedly endorse your heartfelt gripe about the atrocious way people are treating the English language these days. Criminal I say!!!

Good on you

Cheers and warmest regards

victitan
Every day above ground is a good day - James Reyne

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #7 on: Sun 09 Mar 2008 00:03:51 »
Hey Gumby;

I assume that your grammar mistake was, of course, on purpose to illustrate your point? If not then let me point it out for you.

Bad spelling removes all credibility from important statements, causes misunderstandings and are a general eyesore to people who can spell.

"Bad spelling" is a singular noun. You should have used the word "is" instead of "are". Bad spelling is, spelling mistakes are.

Thanks for your understanding Victitan but you also had an error of grammar, one that is very common unfortunately. Even newsreaders make this mistake often. Just who are the "atrocious way people"? You should have used the word "that" between way and people.

Offline Gumby

• Rock Addict
    • FinnArctic
« Reply #8 on: Sun 09 Mar 2008 17:38:51 »

"Bad spelling" is a singular noun. You should have used the word "is" instead of "are". Bad spelling is, spelling mistakes are.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing out. :-[ ;)
No bonds.

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #9 on: Mon 10 Mar 2008 01:35:42 »
No worries mate. I'm not really such a picky person, but while we're on the topic I just thought I'd illustrate my point.
Cheers

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #10 on: Fri 18 Apr 2008 19:29:37 »
I had a laugh a couple nights ago. On the news or A Current Affair there was this dude crossing America with a bag full of markers and pens, correcting misspelled signs in shops and anywhere. If I started a trek like that I'd never get out of my own area. It'd be a full-time job.

sixtiesrule

« Reply #11 on: Mon 07 Jul 2008 17:57:11 »
If you want an excellent lesson in how to completely destroy the English language, just go & read a few "replies" to videos on Youtube!! Uugh!! >:(

Offline pb669

• Rock Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sun 20 Jul 2008 23:13:47 »
Winge?  W I N G E?  Try whinge.

Offline Forrykook

« Reply #13 on: Mon 21 Jul 2008 07:07:14 »
Thanks pb669, but I have already pointed out this mistake in  my first post.

yoo see bad spellink evriwear shop sines, noospapers, thees forums, (even the very title of this wun).

Cheers

Offline Jaylee

« Reply #14 on: Mon 21 Jul 2008 21:25:06 »
They say everything is done for a reason, and no doubt our bad spelling has created a very interesting topic.

Maybe a method in our madness!!!!! ;D ;D

Offline Beergut

« Reply #15 on: Tue 22 Jul 2008 01:49:17 »
Its bin hear so longue nowe vat im not gonna kerect it. Sory bout vat.

Never stand between a tree and a dog