Author Topic: Price of Gas for the BBQ  (Read 12733 times)

Offline vbs

Price of Gas for the BBQ
« on: Fri 18 Jan 2008 01:16:48 »
The BBQ - the great aussie cooking implement. It a prerequisite to watch the cricket with your mates and burn a few snags after stumps and get pissed. Well just got the 9kg gas bottle refilled - cost $30. Mate it is just pricing the BBQ into oblivion. I am no chemist but LPG is LPG. It costs around 50 cents per litre for the car and around $3 per litre for the bottle. The stuff has got to be the same. Bloody hell it is a right to get cheap gas for the BBQ.

Offline Jaylee

Re: Price of Gas for the BBQ
« Reply #1 on: Fri 18 Jan 2008 01:20:12 »
Yes i know what you mean, more annoying when u pay that much and the damn thing is filled properly, u go through it in no time.

Its sad that a lot of the good things in life are becoming really hard to maintain still.

But take into account the price of the meat for the barbie as well, and its almost a luxury ....  ???

Offline Beergut

« Reply #2 on: Fri 18 Jan 2008 02:59:03 »
LPG for the car is a very different gas than the one in the BBQ bottles (Propane). BBQ gas usually is around the $23 to $25 here.

Having said that, my cruiser is on LPG and the stuff has gone up almost 25c per litre since the election. I'm probably paranoid (actually I know I am: but you won't get me!) but I just can't get over the timing: honeymoon government not yet in power long enough to find their feet, and gas, petrol and interest rates (without the help of the reserve bank) on the rise. Is it just me or do others thing some multi-nationals are taking advantage of our new governments lack of experience?

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline screamin

« Reply #3 on: Fri 18 Jan 2008 05:07:50 »
darn hey , I've been using LPG in my gas bottle for the barbie .I get it free at work went the 10 year inspection comes along , some clowns bring there cars in with a full tank of gas at times  ??? seems to be working ok , god i worried now . I'll have to have a 6 pak before the next Barbie to get the courage up to lite it

Beergut , i reakon johnny howard had this in mind when he gave out 2000 buks for the gas conversion 
and capped the gas till 2008 , someone has to help get all that money back

Offline No_Exit

• Rock Addict
« Reply #4 on: Fri 18 Jan 2008 06:45:16 »
LPG for the car is a very different gas than the one in the BBQ bottles (Propane).

Umm, my BBQ runs of a 36KG forklift bottle I borrowed about a dozen or so years ago. I've filled it @ the gas bowser @ the servo a few times over the years when i got caught with no gas on the weekends.

pek1973

« Reply #5 on: Fri 08 Feb 2008 12:36:43 »
As an aussie living overseas, I can honestly say the BBQ is somethign I miss more than anything.  I won't even dignify a response on the price of LPG gas over here in dubai for fear of aggravating everyone.  Petrol is less than 50c a litre.  To make matters worse in Saudi Arabia its 15 - 17c a litre - a honda civic costs AUD 17 to fill from bone dry - i kid you not.  Not gloating as I would take all of the gas prices, to be able to BBQ in the summer.  Its 45- 55 celsius here in summer, so couldn't think of anythign worse than standing in front of a bbq cooking.

grass is alwasy greener on the other side I guess!

PK

Offline myke44

« Reply #6 on: Sun 09 Mar 2008 12:06:59 »
Agreed! BBQ gas is a rip off!

Offline ViXeN

• A ViXeN In The Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: Thu 12 Jun 2008 04:11:06 »
As an aussie living overseas, I can honestly say the BBQ is somethign I miss more than anything.  I won't even dignify a response on the price of LPG gas over here in dubai for fear of aggravating everyone.  Petrol is less than 50c a litre.  To make matters worse in Saudi Arabia its 15 - 17c a litre - a honda civic costs AUD 17 to fill from bone dry - i kid you not.  Not gloating as I would take all of the gas prices, to be able to BBQ in the summer.  Its 45- 55 celsius here in summer, so couldn't think of anythign worse than standing in front of a bbq cooking.

grass is alwasy greener on the other side I guess!

PK

LOL
I had "company" over last night who's a nice Sri Lankan guy and he was telling me about how a friend of his in Dubai had only just told him the gas price there yesterday. Apparently about 38 cents a litre. Makes me sick!!
And I lost my BBQ in my marriage separation so my Dad bought me a new gas bottle as a push to get another. But due to the cost I haven't bothered yet. Maybe think again in summer, but with the cost to maintain and now a solo mum to 3 children, I seriously don't think it will be for anything more than particularly special occasions. :(

Offline relaxmax

• Patron
  • relax lay back and enjoy the ride
« Reply #8 on: Sun 15 Jun 2008 19:13:48 »
My wife's cousin (not a plumber by any stretch of the imagination) connected his good ole BBQ up to mains via a 'T-joint' off the hot water service....

Hasn't blown up yet but if you see on the news part of Deer Park (Western suburb in Melbourne) has turned into a waste land you'll know what happened!!!!!!!!

Offline vbs

« Reply #9 on: Thu 26 Jun 2008 03:49:07 »
I like the idea of hooking up to the mains -great. I was told to do that you need to chnage the BBQ burners. Did you really need to do that or does it work just fine.