Author Topic: Ausrock blog  (Read 32261 times)

Offline Skids

Ausrock blog
« on: Fri 18 May 2007 04:59:38 »
 ???
so ner....  :P

Offline Overhere

• Rock Addict
    • They Called it Good at the Time
Re: Ausrock blog
« Reply #1 on: Fri 18 May 2007 11:24:47 »
All very valid questions Ausrock. (in fact with the advent of this forum and its comprehensive coverage of everything - they are - some of them - questions I am asking myself)It would seem a shame to abandon your blog completely having built it up to what it is now.

Having said that - how much of your time will the forums take up and would the extra time mean less to devote to the blog thereby reducing it's high quality.

In short, I don't really know but whatever you do it's got to be right for you :)
My city of Sydney - I miss the warmth of you...

Offline Newrace

« Reply #2 on: Fri 18 May 2007 14:21:22 »
Yes I agree with Overthere :) I think that all Blog owners should continue with their great sites, it would be a shame to abandon all the hard work Blog owners have committed too the Aussie scene

All Blog Masters are welcome to post here, when they have the time, also we have a section on the board.... where the Blog Master can provide their links to their Blogs.
 :)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new !!!

Offline No_Exit

• Rock Addict
« Reply #3 on: Fri 18 May 2007 21:50:02 »
Tough choices for you blogmasters out there.

I didn't even realize all these Aussie music blogs existed until a few months ago, in fact it never entered my mind that a blog could be a way to share music at all. I think it was mark from ozblogdownunder, threw me directions to his blog @ a music forum I post at regularly for some billy thorpe i wanted that opened my eyes to all these sweet Aussie blogs. Up until then I thought I was one of a few people who consistently shared great Aussie music.
Anyways, I dunno how much time/effort it takes for you lads to create & maintain a blog, but i do know its time'n'effort enough just contributing a post by the time you do a bit of a write up, rip, pack, upload etc. So it goes without saying I'd hate to see anyone of you abandon your blogs, and I for one won't abandon them either.

So, I'm happy to post @ both.
But for example my heres an idea I've had for my pending Radiators posts i'm upping as we speak. I may just plonk 2 or so of the Rads albums in a post over @ Ausrock.Blog (with a comment saying theres plenty more over @ ausrock.forum) and the rest over here. This'll keep the Ausrock.Blog moving along and supported nicely, satisfying those that just like to grab'n'run, But rewarding those that wish to get involved, or at least make the effort.

Sounds good in theory i 'spose.  ;D we'll see. Seems like a nice compromise for me tho.

Offline Overhere

• Rock Addict
    • They Called it Good at the Time
« Reply #4 on: Fri 18 May 2007 23:54:07 »
As usual No_Exit comes up with a simple but stunning idea. I was already considering limiting the number of posts I was making each week as contributors seem very keen to have a crack - so it seems like a good idea for me to dual post for a while and then to post tasters on the blog with directions to the forums. The thing about the forums is that no matter how big they get I think we could reasonably run a defence of sharing between friends - whereas a blog, or just posting on someone else's could be a legal minefield if anybody could be arsed to prosecute for digitalising and posting (sharing) music that's not always available in CD format or that hasn't been released in thirty or forty years...

But that is really a whole other thread. :)
My city of Sydney - I miss the warmth of you...

Offline furiousweebee

• I can eat you if I want
    • O'Neill Design
« Reply #5 on: Sun 20 May 2007 16:54:31 »
Personally, I like the ease and simplicity of skimming down a blog page, seeing the cover image of the album, and deciding which to download. I can instantly see what's new without having to scroll through pages of posts in a forum. So from that point of view, I'd like to see the blog remain in its current format, with the information replicated in the forum. I know that's a double up but as long as it's not too much effort then that would be my vote. Second preference would be to ditch the blog altogether, since a forum is so much more interactive and builds a better community than can be done with comments on a blog.

Offline Minmi

• Patron
« Reply #6 on: Mon 21 May 2007 19:30:59 »
Please, do whatever is easiest for you.

From the perspective of a humble user, tho, I find the blog format to be far more suited to quickly seeing a list of all posts and the new posts.  Forums have a way of getting 'clogged' with posts expressing gratitude for the post and other comments.

The main thing is to continue to do what y'all have been doing; providing a lot of links to a wide variety of hard to find Aus music.  Keep it up, and thanks.
Christ, I wish pubs lent money ...

Offline dabney

« Reply #7 on: Fri 08 Jun 2007 00:38:07 »
overall, it's just great that a heap of left-of-centre Australian music is finally seeing the light of day once more .... and places like this and the various blogs that are sprouting like crazy keep the torch flaming ....

Offline Skids

« Reply #8 on: Sun 17 Jun 2007 03:05:42 »
this poll didn't help me much  :P

ok, suggestions on the next post on the blog should be......

Offline Jaylee

« Reply #9 on: Sun 17 Jun 2007 13:29:20 »
I guess it all depends on your capacity to be involved in both, i agree it is a shame to see the hard work put into a blog having to be shoved aside because of time limitations etc., but our hope is that both blogs and forum can co-exist, as we have already heard a lot prefer the blog layout to the forum layout, i like the forums for their community feel, it would be a shame for blogs to be lost ... just my two cents worth, but i guess when its all boiled down it depends on the workload etc on the blog owner and what his her preferences are.... :)

Offline DU99

« Reply #10 on: Sat 30 Jun 2007 14:33:52 »
Nice work,some rare stuff in there.. :)

Offline pb669

• Rock Addict
« Reply #11 on: Wed 11 Jul 2007 21:21:11 »
I've grown pretty used to the Blog.  Wouldn't like to see it go

Offline NiteOwl

• VIP - Owl's Nest Owner
  • Rock Addict
    • Owl's Nest
« Reply #12 on: Tue 17 Jul 2007 06:30:01 »
The blog is great for a quick *look see* whats there
A word to the wize aint necessary ... its the stupid ones that need the advice!
Bill Cosby

Offline seswilson

« Reply #13 on: Thu 26 Jul 2007 05:03:21 »
your blog was what lead me to the forum

it would be a shame to see the blo go as it has great stuff that is easier to navigate

Offline stanlea

« Reply #14 on: Thu 09 Aug 2007 03:32:05 »
I really like the blog,such a vast array of classic Aussie music...thanks for your efforts

;D

Offline Vanysh

• Patron
  • Release the Bats !
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: Sat 11 Aug 2007 11:24:28 »
I really think you should post in the blog and here, because this is the way I met this place. I was searching on blogger and then I saw the blog, and then I decided to join here, so I don't think is a bad idea, is it?
Let me be the first to acknowledge. You've no pride, you've no purpose.
It's so typical to think less is more when you're out of the lead.

Offline StavrosPlod

• Patron
« Reply #16 on: Sun 26 Aug 2007 01:20:36 »
Love the blogs, love the forum. Winners everywhere! I agree with MZOwl's comments re a quick look see at the blog but the community aspect of the forum can really flush out a rare gem that someone may have looked for over several years. I only wish I wasn't on a satellite system which has such severely limited downloads!!!
Release the bats!

Offline oipic

« Reply #17 on: Thu 30 Aug 2007 04:29:21 »
I really think you should post in the blog and here, because this is the way I met this place. I was searching on blogger and then I saw the blog, and then I decided to join here, so I don't think is a bad idea, is it?

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have stumbled across this forum unless a Google search hadn't first uncovered a request posted on the blog.  I can see the two working together, but I can also see how the duplication of effort could get to be a pain.  Perhaps keeping links strictly for the forums would encourage more members, though.

Offline matty

« Reply #18 on: Tue 04 Sep 2007 22:37:52 »
Hey Ausrock!
The blog is great.
It would be a real shame for you to stop.
Keep both going I say, if it works for you.  :)

Offline oldshepp

« Reply #19 on: Sun 16 Sep 2007 05:38:05 »
I agree Matty.   Some people aren't attracted to the community feel of a forum and are just happy scouring blogs for their plunder.

Personally, I don't mind either way, but forums can offer a whole lot more than just sharing links etc.

The Ausrock blog is a ripper, but it is easier to post and communicate in a forum.

Geez I think I'm doing a bit of fence sitting here  :-\

Offline Vtroll

• Rock Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mon 01 Oct 2007 20:34:55 »
It seems like a lot of effort to post a descript of the particular album being offered for download. Whereas just posting a pic and link just seems like a blatant share but don't care. So what do you do???

Offline pch29

« Reply #21 on: Sun 09 Dec 2007 05:04:27 »
It's an excellent blog to discover AUSTRALIAN group when you are so far from Australia like me in France.
I discover CASANOVAS with this blog.
I download it, like it, and buy their album.

Offline vbs

« Reply #22 on: Tue 15 Jan 2008 04:15:46 »
Blogs i believe are important to get the message around in an uncluttered way.

Offline garyc8

« Reply #23 on: Thu 24 Jan 2008 04:20:37 »
I think  post writes ups on blog but links in forum

I found this forum tru the blog, so pls keep i going

Offline Skids

« Reply #24 on: Sun 10 Feb 2008 01:50:13 »
time to change
I used to post in the forum prior to the blog, to give you guys some exclusiveness
but that won't happen anymore

and I get accused of ripping off other blogs  :-[

http://www.aussiedownunder.info/Ausrock/index.php/topic,3649.0.html

http://madparade.blogspot.com/2008/02/21-guns-21-guns.html

got my whole post ripped off, now thats going to look like i just copied it when I post it
>:(

Offline Beergut

« Reply #25 on: Sun 10 Feb 2008 04:54:24 »
Bloody cheeky bugger, and not a mention of where it came from. I've a good mind to give him a verbal lashing. Oops; I already have!

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline Skids

« Reply #26 on: Sun 10 Feb 2008 06:06:54 »
check the barcode out on the artwork ;)

just sh1ts me...its not so bad (but still sux) after i've posted it on the blog

Offline stranded

« Reply #27 on: Mon 11 Feb 2008 00:39:01 »
I guess unfortunately that's the way it is, and other Bloggs will continue ripping from other Bloggs. But it's good karma, so he says.  ???

"The sole purpose of this blog is to share music. The essence of karma is the unconditional and selfless act of giving. I encourage all responses to what goes on in this blog whether they are complimentary or negative. I will also exhibit my right of reply."

"I've had a couple of negative responses of late, from the 'e police' and the obligatory 'Anonymous' expressing their dislike for me 'leeching' and 'stealing' music...... all of the music on this blog can be readily found on countless sites across the net .... I see it as sharing, the giving without the expectation of reward. As far as the artists are concerned they receive a minuscule amount for each unit sold, the main financial gain for bands are merchandise sales and ticket sales for live shows ... blog spots are promoting their music to people who otherwise would never hear it."     Get him!

Skids, just continue posting mate. It would be a shame to see it go.

Bloody cheeky bugger, and not a mention of where it came from. I've a good mind to give him a verbal lashing. Oops; I already have!

Nice one Beergut!  ;D

Offline Beergut

« Reply #28 on: Mon 11 Feb 2008 01:57:07 »
Sharing the music is great, and the more blogs sharing music the better. But you just don't go and copy an entire post and claim it as your own! You ALWAYS give credit where it's due, and thanks where you can.

You just have to look through Ausrock to find countless examples of where we've given credit to other blogs, sites or individuals for the music we put up. We shamelessly pinch stuff from Midoztouch, and Slade's blog, among others, but we ALWAYS mention these sources.

What could have been a great collaboration between these two sites has turned to cr@p because of the shortsighted actions of this rather foolish individual. And now he has egg on his face.... I notice a few familiar posters over there. I just wonder what they think of someone claiming the credit for stuff that isn't his....

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline Hector McFreckle

• Public Relations / Statistician Officer
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
« Reply #29 on: Sat 16 Feb 2008 06:01:16 »
Yeah, it doesn't take much effort to give the original uploader credit, nor does it take long to thank someone if you're taking something.

I just checked out this site (Mad parade) for the first time and posted this comment in the 21 Guns thread:-

"Thanks for this Skids, and for various other posts amongst this blog!"

Not that it matters, he'll probably delete my post anyway. :D
« Last Edit: Sat 16 Feb 2008 06:07:35 by Hector McFreckle »
Eat your peas !! :)