Author Topic: 45cat  (Read 5441 times)

Offline Guitarzan

45cat
« on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 07:06:38 »
Not really a whinge, but a somewhat half a whinge I suppose :hahaha:

If some of you don't know this site already, it's called 45cat. Basically, it's a special archive or home for any 7" single that gets uploaded from anywhere in the world. It is one of my all time FAVOURITE sites to go to, very handy for release year info in particular. Anyone can join if they have something in their own collection to contribute or add. I've been a member there now for 3 years and I enjoy adding, uploading and showing off records from my collection ;)

But lately I've run into a couple of hitches... somehow several of my images I've uploaded in the past had been edited by random people without me knowing about it. I find that part about the site extremely strange, some Joe Blow ably coming across my work I've already put in trimming it down and not saying a word. And no, there is no option anywhere to stop random edits from happening. It's all mod-incorporated. Not trying to make a big deal out of it, I just can't understand the necessity of the edits. Surely it's good courtesy for the editor to leave the uploader a note... ???

However, one of the mods was graceful enough to help me out and they suggested to message the name of the editor and find out their exact reason. Seems fair, though I already left a nice little message on the Comments board ::)

Again, an absolute gem of a site but not without a couple hurdles along the way... :Grrrrrr:

"Half-whinge" over.

G.Z.
 :shithappens:
If it ain't loud, it ain't rock 'n' roll 🎸 ♪ ♫

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
Re: 45cat
« Reply #1 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 07:47:58 »
I can't say it's ever hapended  to me the only corrections made to my uploads has been by a mod and that's things like doubling up and it's usually me telling them that I've cocked up.

Offline Guitarzan

« Reply #2 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 08:08:20 »
I can't say it's ever hapended  to me the only corrections made to my uploads has been by a mod and that's things like doubling up and it's usually me telling them that I've cocked up.
Been there, if I've buggered something up in my text, my art or an accidental duplication I'll admit it and have it removed by sending a correction message - just don't fiddle-fart around with my images without my say-so!

Offline MrPurser

« Reply #3 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 16:03:44 »
I've been posting on 45Cat since 2011and can't recall ever having had an image edited.  Might have to go through them all and have a check.
Another day - another song.

Offline Guitarzan

« Reply #4 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 19:06:33 »
I've been posting on 45Cat since 2011and can't recall ever having had an image edited.  Might have to go through them all and have a check.
Have a look through the My Page>Added Records column Don, that's how I've noticed some of my works being tampered with. After every scan, I like to leave at least 20 pixels of black background each side of the record label.

Here's a couple examples below what I was talking about (editor names highlighted), just hover over the pictures and you will see this popup:

Offline MrPurser

« Reply #5 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 19:59:07 »
Thanks Tim - I always use paint.net and 'trim' the scanso that only the actual label remains - that may be why I haven't had any - just checked and all were O.K.  :Thumbup:)

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
« Reply #6 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 21:11:42 »
So what's being tampered with the black ring around the label?

Offline Guitarzan

« Reply #7 on: Mon 08 Jun 2020 23:43:26 »
Similar to you Don, I use Microsoft Picture Manager to "trim" or "crop" the scans, leave 20 pixels either side of the record label then I use paint.net to do the rest (hence the "black ring"). I like to leave a bit of space out from the label so that it stands out the best way possible.

So I guess you fellers got lucky, that first photo you see was originally a full view of the blue flexi-disc, they took out all the area with the grooves and just kept a rather awkward view of the label itself which looks like shit. And they took out the "black ring" from the Kamahl label. How I had them before looked just fine, I've seen other members' flexi-disc scans stay exactly as I did mine and nobody tampered with (edited) them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Hope that explains things better.

Offline gnowangerup

« Reply #8 on: Sun 21 Jun 2020 19:37:34 »
Hi Guys,

Do you know if you are able to download any of the singles on the site?

Offline MrPurser

« Reply #9 on: Mon 22 Jun 2020 01:36:31 »
It's only a site for label scans - there isn't any music with them.  As far as I know, you can downlaod the scans.

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
« Reply #10 on: Mon 22 Jun 2020 05:17:04 »
I've managed to obtain some of the music back when I was after MP3's by contacting the members that posted the labels, but most don't seem to know how to convert their vinyl to digital. Asking for FLAC seems to send them into a tizzy.  :smash:)

Offline gnowangerup

« Reply #11 on: Mon 22 Jun 2020 10:46:00 »
Thankyou Mr Purser and Deutros for getting back to my question.   :thankyou1:

That is a pity as there is some super rare stuff on that site. 

Offline Tomado

« Reply #12 on: Fri 13 Nov 2020 14:39:25 »
I joined September 2013.
What bugs me of this site is that wrong info gets blindly copied from the single's label.Even if arsholes that make those labels were absolute idiots and made significent errors.So this means that 45cat-idiots copied lable-idiots info blindly and that 45cat info is absolutely dubieus if not unreliable.This is, I think really a bummer because the site has huge potential, to be a sort of wikipedia on singles releases.
T