Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
Ebay
« on: Sat 19 Jan 2019 02:34:21 »
 :hellno: not particularly happy I was toying with the idea with buying a CD yesterday off Ebay and went through the whole purchasing deal until I got to COMMIT TO PAY and then noticed that the postage was a bit excessive so I opted out without hitting the COMMIT TO PAY button got up this morning and in my Email was my receipt for my purchase how the hell does that happen.  :Grrrrrr: :smash:) :shithappens: :copper:
« Last Edit: Sat 19 Jan 2019 05:32:59 by deutros »

Offline MrPurser

Re: Ebay
« Reply #1 on: Sat 19 Jan 2019 03:26:33 »
Yes, lots of hidden traps in the internet - I guess you'll be posting the CD and saving us the postage?  Sorry, bad joke.... :Grrrrrr:
Another day - another song.

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
« Reply #2 on: Sat 19 Jan 2019 05:44:59 »
I don't want to complain to much as I did want it but what if I didn't the rigmarole to get out of it. 

Offline peterpowerpop

« Reply #3 on: Sat 19 Jan 2019 06:58:46 »
I was like that when I wanted to buy Hatchie's Sugar & Spice EP from the Hatchie website when it was first released. I was aghast to find at the very end of the transaction that the $10 CD had a shipping cost of $8.50. (Postage wasn't mentioned at any other time during the purchasing procedure.) I backed out of that transaction quick smart pronto. (It took an email to the seller to cancel the sale, but they were understanding, and cancelled it, so all's well that ends well.)

I don't mind paying a couple of dollars for postage (it's usually only a PostPak for a CD to go interstate), but when it's almost the cost of the CD... well, that just freaks me out, man.

I was relieved to see it available a little while later on eBay for $9, with free shipping.

Offline mcphert1

« Reply #4 on: Sat 19 Jan 2019 14:36:03 »
I find with ebay that I usually know the postage upfront.  The main thing that has changed is that you are first advised of the addition of GST at the very last stage.   Now I just factor in the additional 10%.  When considering buying something from Amazon, it bugs me that I have to go through the shopping cart process to the very end to find out the amount they will charge for shipping.  That's when can still decide to opt out but it would be good to know the shipping at the start of the process.  Sometimes shipping can double the cost. 

Offline peterpowerpop

« Reply #5 on: Sat 19 Jan 2019 16:43:46 »
:hellno: not particularly happy I was toying with the idea with buying a CD yesterday off Ebay and went through the whole purchasing deal until I got to COMMIT TO PAY and then noticed that the postage was a bit excessive so I opted out without hitting the COMMIT TO PAY button got up this morning and in my Email was my receipt for my purchase how the hell does that happen.  :Grrrrrr: :smash:) :shithappens: :copper:

It sounds like you had an enthusiastic seller. ("They're thinking about buying? I'll take that as a yes!")

I don't know how you could have missed the shipping costs, as they're usually prominent enough to be easily seen – unless the seller decided to get sneaky and hide them.

Ah well. You live and you learn / It's a teachable moment / C'est la vie / Que sera sera / [insert appropriate cliché here]...

Offline Beergut

« Reply #6 on: Sun 20 Jan 2019 19:42:55 »
I used to buy rechargeable batteries on Ebay from Hong Kong. Price was usually 1 cent for 12, but $20+ for postage. Still, it was cheaper than buying them at the local supermarket, and some of them even worked.  :o

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline peterpowerpop

« Reply #8 on: Sun 01 Nov 2020 17:26:37 »
Bloody hell this is one of those tell him he's dreaming moments the seller could have a least offered free postage.

At least there's the "Make Offer" button. You can offer the seller $10. Couple that with the $20 postage and you have yourself a $30 album. Easy.

Offline okym

« Reply #9 on: Mon 02 Nov 2020 05:15:26 »
Funny this should come up now. I was watching a repeat episode of Spick's and Specks last week and Andy Anderson aka Andy James from the Mk2 line-up of the band was on the show. According to the discussion on the show this was /is (at the time the show was recorded) one of the most sought after and  supposedly  rarest and hardest to find Australian albums of the time. Even though, at this price it would be impossible to justify the expense.