Author Topic: Ska sounds from the Sydney 70's (and 80's)  (Read 37752 times)

Offline nedkelly

Ska sounds from the Sydney 70's (and 80's)
« on: Wed 15 Aug 2007 01:27:44 »
Hey Stranded
 Had a brain wave from our conversation today - could it have been Terry Sirios band The Mighty Reapers we were trying to put a name too. Can't remember any songs but vaguely recall some Ska covers of old crooner classics!

Offline stranded

Re: Ska sounds from the Sydney 70's (and 80's)
« Reply #1 on: Wed 15 Aug 2007 15:40:46 »
Hey ned, The Mighty Reapers would of been late 80's. I will certainly do a search on them anyways, and find there music. Thanks for the lead though.
Have a listen to the song which I uploaded.

Offline nedkelly

« Reply #2 on: Wed 15 Aug 2007 15:59:50 »
Oh yeh, way off the mark, ...........don't have the foggiest idea who those crooners are. GOOD LUCK.

Offline kimbodious

• Patron
  • old enuff to know but not old enuff to know better
« Reply #3 on: Thu 08 Nov 2007 06:21:49 »
Strange Tenants or Alnighters or Naughty Rhythms ?

Offline Dr Keats

• Patron
  • As heard on Plenty Valley FM and Inner FM...
    • Further information...
« Reply #4 on: Thu 25 Sep 2008 04:52:28 »
Got a feeling the Tenants were from Melbourne - their clip for "I Work At My Machine" was filmed in Melbourne's City Loop, and I bought a guitar from one of them, who was living in Fitzroy St, St Kilda at the time (circa '86)...
If ignorance is bliss, how come I ain't smilin'?

Offline motcher76

« Reply #5 on: Thu 25 Sep 2008 18:12:19 »
I never could work out what the actual query was with this post. Is there a particular track you’re trying to identify here Stranded?

Cheers
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline stranded

« Reply #6 on: Fri 26 Sep 2008 16:05:17 »
Hey mate, this thread goes back to the first song I tried to get identified. That's when you came on the scene. I think you identified it in your very first post. It seems like ages ago.

The song was....Slow Twitch Fibres - Face the Music.

Cheers!  :)

Offline motcher76

« Reply #7 on: Fri 26 Sep 2008 20:31:27 »
Hey mate, this thread goes back to the first song I tried to get identified. That's when you came on the scene. I think you identified it in your very first post. It seems like ages ago.
The song was....Slow Twitch Fibres - Face the Music.
Cheers!  :)

Oh right. That was in a separate post of its own. I thought because this post was still open it must have been something else you were trying to identify - but I couldn't figure out what. I guess I should have asked earlier.

Cheers buddy.

(BTW what ever happened to Stranded's obscure 80's compilation??)  :)
"... Before you judge a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who gives a damn. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!!..."   ;D

Offline stranded

« Reply #8 on: Sun 28 Sep 2008 14:34:04 »

(BTW what ever happened to Stranded's obscure 80's compilation??)  :)

Hey motch, I'm still waiting on a few more songs to complete the series. Hopefully it won't be that much longer.

Cheers

Offline motcher76

« Reply #9 on: Sun 28 Sep 2008 19:38:09 »
Hey motch, I'm still waiting on a few more songs to complete the series. Hopefully it won't be that much longer.
Cheers

Looking forward to that  :)

Are there any tracks we might be able to help with?

Cheers

Offline stranded

« Reply #10 on: Mon 29 Sep 2008 15:35:38 »
I'm still trying to find five aussie songs which I've reposted in the music requests section.
Thanks motch.  :)

Offline motcher76

« Reply #11 on: Mon 14 Nov 2011 21:55:40 »
Hiya Stranded.

I stumbled across ''Can't Resist'' the b-side to that STF single, if you're interested (only @192 though)? It's even weirder than the a-side (actually, I think the a-side is pretty cool ... but it is weird LOL).

I'm still on the lookout for the follow-up single ''This Is Your Lunch''.

Cheers

Offline stranded

« Reply #12 on: Sun 27 Nov 2011 00:04:33 »
Hey Motcher,
How you doing mate? That would be good thanks, I will take the b-side. You are right about "Face the Music" it is weird but good...I listen to it quite often.
The vinyl of "This is your Lunch" is available on Discogs (but would you go to that extent)?...speak soon.
ciao rocco  :)

Offline motcher76

« Reply #13 on: Sun 27 Nov 2011 02:25:58 »
Yeah, the actual vinyl doesn't seem all that hard to source. Quite a few traders overseas currently have it listed for sale. I might be waiting a l-o-n-g time, but I'll happily hang out till some kind sole posts a rip on the Net  ;D

Cheers

Offline gnowangerup

« Reply #14 on: Wed 23 Jan 2013 05:09:22 »
I don't know if this post is still open but I have some pretty obscure music from a Tasmanian guy called Chainmale.

he did 3 songs through Regular Records called Kickback, Freakout and Schizophrenic Breakdown.  Absolutely weird stuff

Offline motcher76

« Reply #15 on: Wed 23 Jan 2013 17:15:07 »
I don't know if this post is still open but I have some pretty obscure music from a Tasmanian guy called Chainmale.
he did 3 songs through Regular Records called Kickback, Freakout and Schizophrenic Breakdown.  Absolutely weird stuff
Yes, those three tracks from him sure are some pretty freaky sh*t.
It wasn't you that bought that Regular Records promo off eBay was it?

Cheers

Offline gnowangerup

« Reply #16 on: Fri 25 Jan 2013 06:40:29 »
Yes, those three tracks from him sure are some pretty freaky sh*t.
It wasn't you that bought that Regular Records promo off eBay was it?

Cheers

Sorry motcher, I didn't see your post from yesterday.  He is certainly a weird guy.  A guy I know got the actual umatic tape and gave me a copy.  2 of them are awesome quality and the other one has some tape damage.  But Cattletruck, Electric Pandas and Icehouse were on the same tapes.

Would you like the videos of Chainmale by any chance?

Offline motcher76

« Reply #17 on: Fri 25 Jan 2013 17:32:49 »
Would you like the videos of Chainmale by any chance?
No, thank you ... I'm happy with the YouTube clips I captured.

I have very hazy memories of a Michael Freeland who used to perform mime and street theatre around Sydney mid to late 70's (and possibly into the early 80's). May have even written/produced/acted a couple of plays shown in the Sydney Uni theatre. I wonder if it's the same guy? During the ''Freakout'' video he sure displays some lame mime-style moves, so I guess it's possible? Perhaps he gravitated down south to Tasmania later. Nice views of Hobart in the music clips ... great shots of the Salamanca markets from the 80's.

An old schedule lists an appearance/interview for a Michael Freeland on GTK in April 1973.

Episode: 643
Sequence: B
Year: 1973
Date: 11 April 1973
Artist: MICHAEL FREELAND INTERVIEW (ACTOR) WITH EXTRACTS FROM PLAY

Cheers
« Last Edit: Fri 25 Jan 2013 21:37:52 by motcher76 »

Offline gnowangerup

« Reply #18 on: Sun 27 Jan 2013 23:39:04 »
No, thank you ... I'm happy with the YouTube clips I captured.

I have very hazy memories of a Michael Freeland who used to perform mime and street theatre around Sydney mid to late 70's (and possibly into the early 80's). May have even written/produced/acted a couple of plays shown in the Sydney Uni theatre. I wonder if it's the same guy? During the ''Freakout'' video he sure displays some lame mime-style moves, so I guess it's possible? Perhaps he gravitated down south to Tasmania later. Nice views of Hobart in the music clips ... great shots of the Salamanca markets from the 80's.

An old schedule lists an appearance/interview for a Michael Freeland on GTK in April 1973.

Episode: 643
Sequence: B
Year: 1973
Date: 11 April 1973
Artist: MICHAEL FREELAND INTERVIEW (ACTOR) WITH EXTRACTS FROM PLAY

Cheers

Hi motcher

I didn't have a clue that he was a bit of a mime actor.  Even if you have a look at his clothes and the people in his clip of Schizophrenic Breakdown, they all look like Street Theatre people and he wears those cord pants. 

Where did you get the GTK info from btw?

Thanks heaps for the info, I am surprised he made some videos as they wouldn't have been cheap to make and i doubt that he would have charted with these songs, so he wouldn't have made much money.  But still they are good to have and watch

Thanks heaps