Author Topic: DREAMS - Luke Steele & Daniel John new project  (Read 12924 times)

Offline detour

DREAMS - Luke Steele & Daniel John new project
« on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 21:42:30 »

If you're thinking Empire Of The Sun meets Silverchair you'll be very disappointed. Both have moved on a great deal musically since then.

The first track "No One Defeats Us" they released via YouTube (and available now on iTunes) was a load of crap IMHO. Two guys going on 40 screaming a youth rebellion anthem - sorta loses a bit of credibility and is so very very dated. But the latest one on YouTube (and iTunes) "Silence" is a lot more promising. I wouldn't say all that original - smacks of Depeche Mode and Human League from the 80's - but a bit better indicator of what these two talented musos can produce.

An album is set for release later in the year, and I'm now looking forward to that.

They debuted at Coachella just recently and the live act has had very positive reviews so far. A couple of clips have been posted on YouTube and one guy has the full performance here...   

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I9GYoys9rs-IOpQ7i2Jv0nqVDWaowFnv/view

I guess it's probably subject to copyright so probably won't stay up for long.

Tks  :)
I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost three days already ... :}

The following users thanked this post: terryh

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
Re: DREAMS - Luke Steele & Daniel John new project
« Reply #1 on: Tue 24 Apr 2018 02:14:21 »
I wasn't thinking anything Detour but I was disappointed  don't these guys realise the 80's was more than 3 decades ago and what the hell was Daniel Johns wearing.

Offline Beergut

« Reply #2 on: Tue 24 Apr 2018 02:21:21 »
I guess it's probably subject to copyright so probably won't stay up for long.

It will stay up for as long as you want it to Detour. On here at least. Not so sure about Google Drive though....

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline detour

« Reply #3 on: Tue 24 Apr 2018 16:50:36 »
...and what the hell was Daniel Johns wearing.

Well you tell me. Looks like an outfit some pimp from the early 80's in the U.S. would wear - all it needs is the White 1982 Cadillac Biaritz 2 Door Hard Top in the background to complete the picture!

As for Luke; when I first viewed the YouTube clip the image that sprung to mind was Karl Lagerfeld from the House of Dior. There you go Luke; this is probably what you're gonna look like in about 45 years time!

Look, I'm giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. I didn't like the first single, and the saecond was a bit better but still not what I'd have expected from these two musical giants. I'm hoping though the second was a teaser for even better things to come, and as I said before the live act at Coachella seems to have gone down very well.

I don't mind a bit of the 80's, but I'd prefer re-inventing the 80's rather than simply re-visiting. These two are definitely talented enough to do that. Otherwise they're just gonna be another electro/techo-pop band, and they're a dime-a-dozen.

Tks
I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost three days already ... :}

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
« Reply #4 on: Tue 24 Apr 2018 19:26:26 »
Like you commented Detour I was expecting something special and was disappointed I was a Silverchair fan and I like Metal and Hard Rock so as they "matured" and the music mellowed I became less enchanted with them but this is just to far away from what I like and my idea of a good techno band is Rammstein.