Author Topic: Commonwealth Games Finale  (Read 11498 times)

Offline Beergut

Commonwealth Games Finale
« on: Mon 16 Apr 2018 18:41:46 »
Interested to hear what others here think.

I turned it off before even the halfway mark. No athletes, women who can't hold a tune (Kate Ceberano excepted), No atmosphere. And what was the reasoning behind an all female band?

Woke up this morning to see the channel 7 presenters take on things. Although it was probably edited down from what was shown last night, it hit the mark pretty well I thought.

This was a disgrace, and while Peter Beattie has taken the rap for it, others should also pay.

Never stand between a tree and a dog

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
Re: Commonwealth Games Finale
« Reply #1 on: Mon 16 Apr 2018 22:05:39 »
I didn't see to much of it Beergut but what I saw was pretty mediocre like something that would have been done back in Joe's day.

The only reasonable bit was when Archie Roach sang that was him wasn't it been a long time since I've seen him looking pretty frail if it is him.

Offline johng

« Reply #2 on: Mon 16 Apr 2018 22:16:03 »
I lasted 10 minutes ...... heard a little more of the music on the radio on the way home .... with more thought it could have been done so well ....

Offline Beergut

« Reply #3 on: Mon 16 Apr 2018 22:44:35 »
I missed the Archie Roach bit. Watched until the 9 female band came on; wondered what a gender statement or agenda was doing in that environment; wondered where the athletes were. After all, this was meant to be their show.

Then turned over to a crappy poison murder doco on 9. Just found out I wasn't the only disappointed soul this morning.

Offline deutros

• Midoztouch 2
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
  • Midoztouch 2 Admin
    • Little Aussie Albums
« Reply #4 on: Mon 16 Apr 2018 23:01:18 »
I lasted 10 minutes ...... heard a little more of the music on the radio on the way home .... with more thought it could have been done so well ....

Welcome John snuck in did you just what the doctor ordered.

Offline MrPurser

« Reply #5 on: Tue 17 Apr 2018 02:19:35 »
The opening ceremony was pretty bad - went downhill from there.  At least we won more medals than any other country - our athletes held up their end of the log - sad about the committee.
Another day - another song.

Offline Tomado

« Reply #6 on: Tue 17 Apr 2018 12:51:15 »
Hay guys not so negative but I wasn't able 2 see the opening ball because some stupid bbc coverage thought looking at the reporter was better
and despite the ashes whitewash thought, hay let's be funny and give those Aussies a cricket lesson....???? huh as usual Bad Losers

Nor thinking I'd get the same Brexit shit treatment I didn't even bother staying up 2 watch the closing ceremony... (time difference)

Maybe that's why I don't fathom this discussion?

But after the night b4 watching live my team (also green & gold) winning, and seeing the medal tally I was so proud...

8)

Offline detour

« Reply #7 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 20:16:07 »
Well I sat through all of the opening & closing ceremonies - I'm a sucker for that sort of thing. The opening was sorta OK, but nothing really to get excited over. But holy crap that closing ceremony was a complete train wreck! The endless self-indulgent speeches, and as for the "entertainment" ... well that karaoke session by Katie Noonan and her all-star backing singers was just cringeworthy to say the least. I hung in to the very end naïvely thinking the athletes surely would eventually get centre stage but that never happened. Why, why, why?

Beatie's faux mea culpa was too little too late, and just so friggin predictable. I also agree with Beergut; as far as the entertainment part of proceedings went Katie Noonan, as musical director, got it wrong big time. And she sure as hell put herself front and centre in the closing act.

:-[
I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost three days already ... :}

Offline Beergut

« Reply #8 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 20:51:23 »
And it seems she's tone deaf too.