Author Topic: Bit Quiet on here now  (Read 15751 times)

Offline Skids

Bit Quiet on here now
« on: Thu 22 Dec 2016 23:20:40 »
where have we all gone?
what are we all up to?
surely there is still new stuff coming out?
sadly CD's are on the way out just like Vinyl  :-[
so ner....  :P

Offline JestaCat

Re: Bit Quiet on here now
« Reply #1 on: Fri 23 Dec 2016 03:19:09 »
Hey Skids, I'm still lurking around semi-regularly. . . hasn't been a lot of action as you said.
Support local Australian music!

Offline busbydaze

« Reply #2 on: Fri 23 Dec 2016 18:03:22 »
Yep, not a lot of traffic.
But I'm not gonna make the same mistakes with my CDs that I made with my vinyl. According to NME vinyl outsold CDs in the uk this year.
Does everybody still have their cassettes, I have heard a lot people romanticize about the cassingle lately?
The Dead Kennedy's had this idea>

Have a great Xmas Present day all.
Busbydaze

Offline jasons2

« Reply #3 on: Sat 14 Jan 2017 18:25:36 »
I've got a Depeche Mode cassette (Speak and Spell) that has a blank side to it.

Offline Dr Keats

• Patron
  • As heard on Plenty Valley FM and Inner FM...
    • Further information...
« Reply #4 on: Mon 23 Jan 2017 22:26:54 »
There were a few of those releases - the HeeBeeGeeBees album was another.
If ignorance is bliss, how come I ain't smilin'?

Offline Tomado

« Reply #5 on: Sat 21 Apr 2018 15:35:22 »
where have we all gone?
what are we all up to?
surely there is still new stuff coming out?
sadly CD's are on the way out just like Vinyl  :-[

I reckon those bad (silent) days are gone now and a rainbow end's pot of gold shall appear soon, just look around and be patient...
But... don't wait too long

8)

Offline ozmuze

« Reply #6 on: Sat 21 Apr 2018 18:46:15 »
OK, I realize I am a bit late coming into this conversation... but this thread came up on my Recent Unreads click, SO... a couple of observations:

(1) Despite the fact that astute people with young eyes will quickly spot the SIZE of an upload and make the quantum cognitive leap that it is one thing or another (i.e. FLAC, 128kbps, 320kbps, wav, VBR or whatever) I would REALLY like to see it included in the SOMEWHERE search - title (or link or subject or whatever it is called here.)
WHY? Cause sometimes I search that way... AND you can NEVER have too much information!!
(it's WAY better than having none... and having to message people.)

(2 ) NOTHING lasts forever  :'(
Think back to how quickly technology is made obsolete - 8-track, cassette, vinyl, CD, and video cassettes - to name but a few.
We should all be mindful of that and not keep our fingers crossed that "the industry" will see a need and re-source a technology, as seems to be happening with vinyl. (Have you seen the PRICES they are charging for some of these current LPs!!!)

I have always thought that if you (that is me and you) are going to stay loyal to one form or another, then you have to make sure you have all the HARDWARE and the PERIPHERALS that allow that form to be used.
AND if it breaks down, you have to have access to someone skilled enough to repair it (and they need to have the parts!)

I was naiive enough the think this wouldn't happen in my lifetime.... that says something doesn't it?  ???

The world is a funny place... BIG BUSINESS will always find ways to make a buck. They tried USBs / flash drives for a while.

Currently (I think) on trend is STREAMING... mmm, no thank you, not for this little black duck!!

Did you know that Apple is shutting down its iTunes Music Downloads?

This isn't new news, but it may surprise some...

READ THIS: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/04/06/apple-shutting-itunes-music-downloads/

Cheers,
Oz

« Last Edit: Sat 19 May 2018 03:32:07 by ozmuze »

Offline Tomado

« Reply #7 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 04:29:39 »
High OM  ;)

A byte curious to what you mean here with search title  ???
Do you mean @ the end of the title of the posting  ???

As you probably know @ MT2 I included it in the thread, @ the end of my zip file and as a name of the mapping that contains the music files and mostly in the song titles too.

Didn't think about size because downloading in Holland is/was faster and much cheaper than you guys have/had, and simply just didn't recognice this back then  ;D

Cheers,
8)

Offline detour

« Reply #8 on: Sun 22 Apr 2018 20:52:10 »
Probably a discussion for elsewhere on the Forum; but I do agree with Ozmuse about accurately mentioning the file-type (FLAC, MP3, AAC etc) and the true bit rate. In the body of the post rather than the header is fine; as Tomado suggests.

One particular peeve of mine is downloading an archive where the tracks were purportedly MP3 @320 only to find they are 320VBR rather than 320CBR. Not the end of the world I know, but still a bit annoying. And don't get me started on some of those dodgy Russian music sites that regularly post trans-coded files  >:(

Personally, if it's an album I'm interested in I don't give a stuff about the format or bitrate - I really appreciate the effort in uploading - but it'd be good to know beforehand.

Tks  :)
I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost three days already ... :}

The following users thanked this post: Tomado

Offline Hector McFreckle

• Public Relations / Statistician Officer
  • Global Moderator
  • Rock Elite
« Reply #9 on: Mon 23 Apr 2018 02:41:00 »
There were a few of those releases - the HeeBeeGeeBees album was another.

Hey Doctor.....was there a NEW HeeBeeGeeBees album in the past couple of years that I missed ?
Eat your peas !! :)

Offline ozmuze

« Reply #10 on: Mon 23 Apr 2018 13:55:04 »
Detour, that's a good point.. maybe this could be put as a thread somewhere... BUT WHERE?

And how do you make points / suggestions about what some of us see as (desirable / essential) FEATURES of a post - WITHOUT offending anyone's sensibilities??
That one is VERY tricky!!

Oh, and another "feature" or "element" that some of us would like to be made aware of is the VERSION of the source material.

For instance, when Murdoch Jr was handed the Festival portfolio and Mushroom evolved into FMR (Festival Mushroom Records) they set about re-issuing a lot of their back catalogue on CD. 
Previously (ca 1997) Mushroom had signed a distribution deal with SONY - and they too set about re-issuing Mushroom's back catalogue.

So now we have iterations of Mushroom albums on CD with a D series prefix code (Festival) AND the "MUSH" series (Sony) of releases.

Did they ALL use the same masters? Perhaps - I don't know (and I my ears would only distinguish major diffs anyway.) 

But that is not the point I am trying to make here.

If an uploader INCLUDES the source catalogue number in their post, then it gives me more information and enables me to better make the decision as to whether I want to listen to it or not.

Another example is Richard Clapton's album for Mushroom,  Solidarity [SEE http://www.aussiedownunder.info/Ausrock/index.php/topic,10835.0.html

Mushroom also made an INTERVIEW disc for the album [REF: https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Clapton-Solidarity-Interview-Disc/release/8440651
This had exactly the same packaging/presentation as the album, except for a typed sticker saying “Interview Disc”; the same catalogue numbers  BUT different MX numbers.

Imagine downloading that one and finding it was RC TALKING about the 10 songs, not singing them?   :-\

I think MORE information is a good thing - especially if it is accurate.

Lord knows, things disappear into the ether all too quickly these days OR gets swallowed up in the "Chinese whispers" that comes with our "cut and paste" habits.

Food for thought huh?

Cheers,
Oz  8)

« Last Edit: Mon 23 Apr 2018 14:31:58 by ozmuze »

The following users thanked this post: Tomado