Discover Sounds, Underground Music Samplers > Help Me Identify This

Set me free - late 70's song?

(1/3) > >>

Forrykook:
G'day all
I have had a phrase of a song in the back of my mind, (or perhaps occupying one of my two brain cells), since I heard it on the radio in the late 70's, perhaps early 80's.

I used to remember the tune etc but now it has faded and really all I have is the phrase something like "set me free from your love" or perhaps "from your pain".

Unfortunately the phrase "set me free" is so widespread in music that there are heaps of results in a Google search. BTW it is not The Sweet's song "set me free" which was a pretty hard rockin song. The one I remember was soft with quite a nice melody.

Sorry to be so vague but maybe someone just knows it.

Cheers

ps. I just remembered it says "Set me free from the / your spell"

motcher76:
The first thing that sprang to mind around that period was the 1976 single release "Set Me Free" by Chariot (Dennis Wilson's band after Kahvas Jute). The chorus is more along the lines of ... "Oh my love, set me free" ... which doesn't exactly gel with your thoughts, but I've posted a low bit-rate soundfile on zSHARE if you want to give it a listen anyway ...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/620840577a0c49ef/

I've only been thinking about possible Oz bands. As you say, "set me free" is a bit of a minefield.

Cheers

motcher76:
Hmmm, extra information :)

That sounds like "Let Me Go, Lover!" which is a song that's been around since the early 50's and recorded by many artists since.

(Let me go, let me go, let me go.)

Oh, let me go, let me go, let me go lover
     Let me be, set me free from your spell
     You made me weak, cut me deep, I can't sleep lover
     I was cursed from the first day I fell.

You don't want me but you want me to go on wanting you
     How I pray that you'll say that we're through
     Please turn me lose, what's the use, let me go lover
     Let me go, let me go, let me go.

You made me weak, cut me deep, I can't sleep lover
     I was cursed from the first day I fell.

You don't want me but you want me to go on wanting you
     How I pray that you'll say that we're through
     Please turn me lose, what's the use, let me go lover
     Let me go, let me go, let me go.

(Let me go, let me go, let me go...)

Billy Fury did this song as a single in 1983 (released after his death I think). Could that be it?

Cheers

Forrykook:
Thanks for your info Motch but that's not it. I found a sound sample of that on Amazon UK and it isn't right. That's a bit too 60's-ish.

If I could only remember more of it. Almost definitely late 70's, male voice, soft rock / pop, heard on commercial radio, pretty sure that it says "Set me free from the spell".

motcher76:
OK, that's about all that springs to my mind. Sorry. Any other suggestions would just be from net searches, and that could be an endless process.

Hopefully it may jog somebody else's memory.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version